Neuropsychologic dysfunction in women following leuprolide acetate induction of hypoestrogenism
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The study investigated the neuropsychological status of women with induced hypoestrogenism.
An ABA design was employed in which neuropsychological measures were repeated prior to, during, and after induction of hypoestrogenism with leuprolide acetate.
The study took place in a medical school affiliated in vitro fertilization clinic.
Leuprolide acetate was administered to all subjects as part of in vitro fertilization.
Eighteen women receiving in vitro fertilization treatment underwent neuropsychological testing before, during, and after treatment with leuprolide acetate and gonadotrophins. The neuropsychological test battery was selected on the basis of previous patients' symptomatic complaints during periods of hypoestrogenism with leuprolide acetate.
Depending upon the tests administered, some individuals showed significant cognitive deficits during therapy particularly in the areas of memory, fine motor coordination, and two-point discrimination. Two of the 18 subjects showed very substantial neuropsychological sequelae including memory gaps and disturbances in a variety of neuropsychological test performances. However, in terms of group statistics, only two-point discrimination and delayed recall memory test performance proved significant. Not all measures were sensitive for the group, as many tests displayed a balance between individuals who showed practice effects and those who showed detrimental effects.
For a substantial portion of individuals, hypoestrogenism can result in statistically significant or clinically noteworthy problems with memory, dexterity, and two-point discrimination.
- Hampson A, Kimura D: Reciprocal effects of hormonal fluctuations on human motor and perceptual-spatial skills. Behav Neurosci 1988;102:456–459
- Hampson E: Variations in sex related cognitive abilities across the menstrual cycle. Brain and Cognition 1990;14:26–43
- Hampson E: Estrogen-related variations in human spatial and articulatory-motor skills. Psychoneuroendocrinology 1990;15:97–111
- Wechsler D: Manual for the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale—Revised. New York, Psychological Corporation, 1981
- Jastak JF, Jastak S: Wide Range Achievement Test. Wilmington, Jastak & Associates, 1978
- Benton AL, Hamsher K: The Multilingual Aphasia Examination. Iowa City, AJA Associates, 1978
- Wechsler D: A standardized memory scale for clinical use. J Psychol 1945;19:87–95
- Benton AL, Hamsher K, Varney NR, Spreen O: Judgment of Line Orientation. New York, Oxford University Press, 1983
- Head H: Studies in Neurology. London, Oxford University Press, 1920
- Benton A, Hamsher K, Varney NR, Spreen O: Serial Digit Learning. New York, Oxford University Press, 1983
- Neuropsychologic dysfunction in women following leuprolide acetate induction of hypoestrogenism
Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics
Volume 10, Issue 1 , pp 53-57
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- in vitro fertilization
- mental status
- luprolide acetate
- neuropsychological assessment
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Psychology Service (116-B), VA Medical Center, 52246, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
- 2. Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Hospitals, University of Iowa, 52246, Iowa City, Iowa, USA