Conservative weightings and ear-decompositions of graphs
- András Frank
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A subsetJ of edges of a connected undirected graphG=(V, E) is called ajoin if |C∩J|≤|C|/2 for every circuitC ofG. Answering a question of P. Solé and Th. Zaslavsky, we derive a min-max formula for the maximum cardinality μ of a joint ofG. Namely, μ=(φ+|V|−1)/2 where φ denotes the minimum number of edges whose contraction leaves a factor-critical graph.
To study these parameters we introduce a new decomposition ofG, interesting for its own sake, whose building blocks are factor-critical graphs and matching-covered bipartite graphs. We prove that the length of such a decomposition is always φ and show how an optimal join can be constructed as the union of perfect matchings in the building blocks. The proof relies on the Gallai-Edmonds structure theorem and gives rise to a polynomial time algorithm to construct the optima in question.
- J. Edmonds: Paths, trees, and flowers,Canad. J. Math. 17 (1965), 449–467.
- J. Edmonds andE. Johnson: Matching, Euler tour and the Chinese postman,Mathematical Programming 5 (1973) 88–124.
- A. Frank, A. Sebő andÉ. Tardos: Covering directed and odd cuts,Mathematical Programming Studies 22 (1984) 99–112.
- T. Gallai: Neuer Beweis eines Tutteschen Satze,Magyar Tud. Akad. Mat. Kut. Int. Közl. 8 (1963), 135–139.
- Mei-Gu Guan: Graphic programming using odd or even points,Chinese Mathematics 1 (1962), 273–277.
- G. Hetyei: Rectangular configurations which can be covered by 2×1 rectangles,Pécsi Tan. Főisk. Közl. 8, (1964), 351–367 (in Hungarian).
- L. Lovász: A note on factor-critical graphs,Studia Sci. Math. Hung. 7 (1972), 279–280.
- L. Lovász: 2-matchings and 2-covers of hypergraphs,Acta Mat. Acad. Sci. Hungar. 26 (1975) 433–444.
- L. Lovász, M. Plummer:Maching Theory, Akadémiai Kiadó Budapest and North-Holland Publishing Company, 1986.
- C. L. Lucchesi andD. H. Younger: A minimax relation for directed graphs,J. London Math. Soc. (2)17 (1978), 369–374.
- F. J. MacWilliams andN. J. A. Sloane:The theory of error correcting codes, North-Holland, 1977.
- A. Sebő: A quick proof of Seymour's theorem on T-joins,Discrete Mathematics 64 (1987), 101–103.
- A. Sebő: Undirected distances and the postman structure of graphs,J. Combinatorial Theory, Ser. B, Vol. 49, No. 1, June 1990.
- P. D. Seymour: On odd cuts and plane multicommodity flows,Proceedings of the London Math. Soc. 42 (1981) 178–192.
- P. Solé, Th. Zaslavsky: Covering radius, maximality and decoding of the cycle code of a graph,Discrete Mathematics, to appear.
- D. Welsh: Oral communication.
- A. S. Fraenkel andM. Loebl: Complexity of circuit intersection in graphs, preprint (1991).
- A. Frank, T. Jordán andZ. Szigeti: On strongly conservative weightings, in preparation.
- Conservative weightings and ear-decompositions of graphs
Volume 13, Issue 1 , pp 65-81
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- 05 C 70
- 05 C 75
- 94 B 60
- Industry Sectors
- András Frank (1) (2)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Computer Science, Eötvös University, Múzeum krt. 6-8, H-1088, Budapest, Hungary
- 2. Institute for Operations Research, University of Bonn, Nassestr. 2, D-5300, Bonn-1, Germany