Interpolation problems of Pick-Nevanlinna and Loewner types for meromorphic matrix functions: Parametrization of the set of all solutions
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We consider a general matrix version of a Pick-Loewner interpolation problem on the closed unit disk. Solutions are allowed to have a finite numberl of free poles in the open disk. We show that the smallestl for which a solution to the problem exists is the number of negative eigenvalues of an appropriately defined “Pick matrix,” and for this value ofl we obtain a linear fractional map parametrization of the class of all solutions. The idea is to adapt the Grassmannian approach involving Krein space geometry and invariant subspace representations of the authors; this was successful previously for the case where all interpolating points are inside the disk. Also an appendix includes an errata to earlier work together with simplified proofs.
- Ahern, P. R., Clark, D. N. (1974) On inner functions with Hp-derivative. Michigan Math. J. 21: pp. 115-127
- Ball, J. A. (1983) Interpolation problems of Pick-Nevanlinna and Loewner types for meromorphic matrix functions. Integral Equations and Operator Theory 6: pp. 804-840
- J. A. Ball, Invariant subspace representations, unitary interpolants and factorization indices, Topics in Operator Theory Systems and Networks (OT12), Birkhäuser Verlag, to appear.
- Ball, J. A., Helton, J. W. (1983) A Beurling-Lax theorem for the Lie group U(m,n) which contains most classical interpolation theory. J. Operator Theory 9: pp. 107-142
- Ball, J. A., Helton, J. W. (1982) Factorization results related to shifts in an indefinite metric. Integral Equations and Operator Theory 5: pp. 632-658
- Ball, J. A., Helton, J. W. (1984) Beurling-Lax representations using classical Lie groups with many applications II: GL(n, ⊄) and Wiener-Hopf factorization. Integral Equations and Operator Theory 7: pp. 291-309
- J. A. Ball and J. W. Helton, Beurling-Lax representations using classical Lie groups with many applications III: groups preserving two bilinear forms, to appear in Amer. J. Math.
- J. A. Ball and J. W. Helton, Beurling-Lax representations using classical Lie groups with many applications IV: GL(n,R), U*(2n), SL(n, ⊄) and a solvable group, to appear.
- J. Bognar, Indefinite Inner Product Spaces, Springer-Verlag, 1974.
- C. Caratheodory, Theory of Functions of a Complex Variable, Vol. 2, Chelsea, 1954.
- K. Clancey and I. Gohberg, Factorization of Matrix Functions and Singular Integral Operators (OT 3), Birkhäuser Verlag, 1981.
- P. Dewilde and H. Dym, Lossless inverse scattering for digital filters: theory and applications, to appear.
- J. W. Helton, Orbit structure of the Möbius transformations semigroup acting on H∞ (broadband matching), in Topics in Functional Analysis, Advances in Math. Suppl. Studies 3, 129–257, Academic Press, 1978.
- Helton, J. W. (1980) The distance of a function to H∞ in the Poincaré distance; electrical power transfer. J. Functional Analysis 38: pp. 273-314
- J. W. Helton, A simple test to determine gain bandwidth limitations, Proc. IEEE International Conference Circuit Theory, Phoenix, 1977.
- K. Hoffman, Banach Spaces of Analytic Functions, Prentice, Hall, 1962.
- T. Kato, Perturbation Theory of Linear Operations, Springer-Verlag, 1966.
- Loewner, K. (1934) Uber monotone Matrix Funktionen. Math. Z. 38: pp. 177-216
- Marshall, D. E. (1974) An elementary proof of the Pick-Nevanlinna interpolation theorem. Mich. Math. J. 21: pp. 219-223
- B. Sz.-Nagy and C. Foias, Harmonic Analysis of Operators on Hilbert Space, American Elsevier, 1970.
- Sz.-Nagy, B., Koranyi, A. (1956) Relations d'un probleme de Nevanlinna-Pick avec la theorie des operateurs de l'espace Hilbertian. Acta Math. Acad. Sci. Hungar. 7: pp. 295-302
- Nehari, Z. (1957) On bounded bilinear forms. Ann. of Math. 65: pp. 153-162
- R. Nevanlinna, Uber Beschränkte analytische Funktionen, Ann. Acad. Sci. Fenn., Ser. A, 32, No. 7 (1929)
- R. Nevanlinna, Analytic Functions, Springer, 1970.
- R. S. Phillips, On dissipative operators, in “Lecture Series in Differential Equations,” Vol. II (A. K. Aziz, ed.) von Nostrand, 1969, pp. 65–113.
- Rosenblum, M., Rovnyak, J. (1980) An operator-theoretic approach to theorems of Pick-Nevanlinna and Loewner types I. Integral Equations and Operator Theory 3: pp. 408-436
- Sarason, D. (1967) Generalized Interpolation in H∞. Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 127: pp. 179-203
- Interpolation problems of Pick-Nevanlinna and Loewner types for meromorphic matrix functions: Parametrization of the set of all solutions
Integral Equations and Operator Theory
Volume 9, Issue 2 , pp 155-203
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links