Two types of sympathetic axon innervating the juxtaglomerular arterioles of the rabbit and rat kidney differ structurally from those supplying other arteries
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Ultrastructural analyses of serial thin sections have revealed two structurally different types of sympathetic axon innervating the afferent and efferent juxtaglomerular arterioles and the intralobular arteries in the outer cortex of the rabbit kidney. Both types of axon have also been found in association with an afferent arteriole in rat kidney. One axon type consists of relatively large diameter unmyelinated axons bearing varicosities in the form of slight expansions. The varicosities have a distinct structural zonation: synaptic vesicles occupy the expansion which faces the smooth muscle cells, whereas the rest of the axon is filled with numerous microtubules. The other axon type has varicosities containing vesicles and mitochondria but few microtubules. The varicosities are generally small and the intervaricosities very thin. The relationship of both axon types with support cells and/or basal lamina is sometimes poorly defined. Both axon types are catecholaminergic as their vesicles take up 6-hydroxydopamine and both types form junctions with arteriolar smooth muscle cells. As well as differing from each other, both types of intrarenal axon differ in several respects from those which innervate other arterial vessels.
- Anderson-Cedergren, E. (1959) Ultrastructure of motor endplate and sarcoplasmic components of the mouse skeletal fibre as revealed by three-dimensional reconstructions from serial sections.Journal of Ultrastructure Research Supplement 1, 1–191.
- Barajas, L. (1978) Innervation of the renal cortex.Federation Proceedings 37, 1192–1201.
- Barajas, L. &Müller, J. (1973) The innervation of the juxtaglomerular apparatus and surrounding tubules: A quantitative analysis by serial section electron microscopy.Journal of Ultrastructure Research 43, 107–32.
- Bell, C. &Harris, T. (1985) Catecholamine histo-fluorescence in nerves of rat kidney after combined treatment with 6-hydroxydopamine and desmethy-limpramine or benztropine.Proceedings of the Australian Physiological & Pharmacological Society 16, 51P.
- Bell, C. &McLachlan, E. M. (1982) Dopaminergic neurons in sympathetic ganglia of the dog.Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B 215, 175–90.
- Bevan, J. A., Bevan, R. D. &Duckles, S. P. (1980) Adrenergic regulation of vascular smooth muscle. InHandbook of Physiology;Vascular Smooth Muscle, sect. 2, vol.2 (edited byBohr, D. F., Somlyo, A. P. &Sparks, H. V.) pp. 515–66. Baltimore: American Physiological Society.
- Birks, R., Huxley, H. E. &Katz, B. (1960) The fine structure of the neuromuscular junction of the frog.Journal of Physiology 150, 134–44.
- Bunge, R. P., Bunge, M. B. &Eldridge, C. F. (1986) Linkage between axonal ensheathment and basal lamina production by Schwann cells.Annual Reviews of Neuroscience 9, 305–28.
- Burnstock, G. &Costa, M. (1975)Adrenergic Neurons;Their Organisation, Function and Development in the Peripheral Nervous System. London: Chapman and Hall.
- Devine, C. E. &Simpson, F. O. (1967) The fine structure of vascular sympathetic neuromuscular contacts in the rat.American Journal of Anatomy 121, 153–74.
- Dorward, P. K., Burke, S. L., Jänig, W. &Cassell, J. (1987) Reflex responses to baroreceptor, chemoreceptor and nociceptor inputs in single renal sympathetic neurones in the rabbit and the effects of anaesthesia on them.Journal of the Autonomic Nervous System 18, 39–54.
- Felten, S. Y. &Olschowka, J. (1987) Noradrenergic sympathetic innervation of the spleen: II. Tyrosine Hydroxilase (TH)-positive nerve terminals form synaptic like contacts on lymphocytes in the splenic white pulp.Journal of Neuroscience Research 18, 37–48.
- Ferguson, M. &Bell, C. (1985) Substance P-immunoreactive nerves in the rat kidney.Neuroscience Letters 60, 183–8.
- Gabella, G. (1976)Structure of the Autonomic Nervous System. London: Chapman and Hall.
- Gosling, J. A. &Dixon, J. S. (1969) The fine structure of the vasa recta and associated nerves in the rabbit kidney.Journal of Comparative Neurology 165, 503–14.
- Harris, L. W. &Purves, D. (1989) Rapid remodeling of sensory endings in the corneas of living mice.Journal of Neuroscience 9, 2210–14.
- Herrera, A. A., Grinnell, A. D. &Wolowske, B. (1985) Ultrastructural correlates of naturally occurring differences in transmitter release efficacy in frog motor nerve terminals.Journal of Neurocytology 14, 193–202.
- Jänig, W. (1985) Organisation of the lumbar sympathetic outflow to the skeletal muscle and skin of the cat hindlimb and tail.Reviews of Physiology, Biochemistry and Pharmacology 102, 119–213.
- Jänig, W. &McLachlan, E. M. (1987) Organization of lumbar spinal outflow to distal colon and pelvic organs.Physiological Reviews 67, 1332–1404.
- Luff, S. E. &McLachlan, E. M. (1988) The form of sympathetic postganglionic axons at clustered neuromuscular junctions near branch points of arterioles in the submucosa of the guinea pig ileum.Journal of Neurocytology 17, 451–63.
- Luff, S. E. &McLachlan, E. M. (1989) Frequency of neuromuscular junctions on arteries of different dimensions in the rabbit, guinea pig and rat.Blood Vessels 26, 95–106.
- Luff, S. E., McLachlan, E. M. &Hirst, G. D. S. (1987) An ultrastructural analysis of the sympathetic neuromuscular junctions on arterioles of the submucosa of the guinea pig ileum.Journal of Comparative Neurology 257, 578–94.
- Matsuyama, T., Shiosaka, S., Wanaka, A., Yoneda, S., Kimura, K., Hayakawa, T., Emson, P. C. &Tohyama, M. (1985) Fine structure of peptidergic and catechol-aminergic nerve fibres in the anterior cerebral artery and their interrelationship: an immunoelectronmicroscopic study.Journal of Comparative Neurology 235, 268–76.
- Merrillees, N. C. R. (1968) The nervous environment of individual smooth muscle cells of the guinea pig vas deferens.Journal of Cell Biology 37, 794–817.
- Purves, D. &Voyvodic, J. T. (1987) Imaging mammalian nerve cells and their connections over time in living animals.Trends in Neurosciences 10, 398–404.
- Reinecke, M., &Forssmann, W. G. (1988) Neuropeptide (neuropeptide Y, neurotensin, vasoactive intestinal polypeptide, substance P, calcitonin gene-related peptide, somatostatin) immunohistochemistry and ultrastructure of renal nerves.Histochemistry 89, 1–9.
- Simpson, F. O. &Devine, C. E. (1966) The fine structure of autonomic neuromuscular contacts in the arterioles of the sheep renal cortex.Journal of Anatomy 100, 127–37.
- Snedecor, G. W. &Cochran, W. G. (1980)Statistical Methods. Ames, Iowa: Iowa State University Press.
- Taugner, R. &Hackenthal, E. (1989)The Juxtaglomerular Apparatus: Structure and Function. Berlin: Springer Verlag.
- Two types of sympathetic axon innervating the juxtaglomerular arterioles of the rabbit and rat kidney differ structurally from those supplying other arteries
Journal of Neurocytology
Volume 20, Issue 10 , pp 781-795
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links