Atmospheric mercury measurements in the northern hemisphere from 56° to 82.5° N latitude
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Sampling of total gaseous mercury (TGM) in air was initiated at Alert, Northwest Territories, Canada (82.5°N;62.3°W) by Atmospheric Environment Service (AES) staff during August 1992 on an exploratory basis for a year. TGM was pre-concentrated onto traps (2 in series) containing Au-coated quartz sand for sampling periods of 1 (or more) week(s) at flow-rates of 30 – 50 mL/min. During the first winter cruise of the RV “POLARSTERN” from Germany (56°N) to the Nordic Seas, and at an ice-camp (81°N;5°E) in the Arctic, simultaneous samples of TGM and aerosol black carbon (“soot”) were collected, from February to April 1993, by the GKSS group. The analytical methods for TGM determinations (2-stage gold amalgamation/thermal desorption, followed by cold-vapor atomic fluorescence spectroscopy) were essentially the same for both studies. Experimental details, results, and conclusions are presented and discussed.
- Barrie, L.A. (1993) Polar Sunrise Experiment 1992. The Right Atmosphere. Canadian Institute for Research in Atmospheric Chemistry, York University, North York, Ontario, pp. 3-4
- Brosset, C., Iverfeldt, A. (1989) Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 43: pp. 147-168
- Mora, S.J., Patterson, J.E., Bibby, D.M. (1993) Antarctic Sci. 5: pp. 323-326
- Dick, A.L., Sheppard, D.S., Patterson, J.E. (1990) Atmos. Environ. 24A: pp. 973-978
- Evans, R.D. (1986) Arch. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 15: pp. 505-512
- Fitzgerald, W.F.: 1993,The World and I. Oct., 192–199
- Fitzgerald, W.F., Gill, G.A. (1979) Anal. Chem. 51: pp. 1714-1720
- International Conference on Hg as a Global Pollutant, 1994. Whistler, B.C., July 10–14.
- Jensen, A., Jensen, A. (1991) Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 56: pp. 769-777
- Lindqvist, O., Rodhe, H. (1985) Tellus 37B: pp. 136-159
- Lindqvist, O., Schroeder, W.H. In: Pacyna, J.M., Ottar, B. eds. (1989) Control and Fate of Atmospheric Trace Metals. Kluwer Academic Publishers, The Netherlands
- Mackay, D., Wania, F. and Schroeder, W.H.: This volume,Prospects for modeling the behavior and fate of mercury, globally and in aquatic systems.
- An Assessment of Mercury in the Environment. National Academy of Sciences, Washington, DC, U.S.A.
- Mercury in the Canadian Environment. National Research Council of Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- Nriagu, J.O., Pacyna, J.M. (1988) Nature 333: pp. 134-139
- Petersen, G., Iverfeldt, A. and Munthe, J.: 1994,Atmospheric mercury species over central and northern Europe. Model calculations and comparison with observations from the Nordic air and precipitation network for 1987 and 1988. Atmos. Environ. (In press).
- Pheiffer-Madsen, P. (1981) Nature 293: pp. 127-129
- Schroeder, W.H., Munthe, J., Lindqvist, O. (1989) Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 48: pp. 337-347
- Schroeder, W.H. Atmospheric mercury measurements at a rural site in southern Ontario, Canada. In: Watras, C., Huckabee, J. eds. (1994) Mercury as a Global Pollutant. Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton, FL.
- Schroeder, W.H., Markes, J. (1994) J.Great Lakes Res. 20: pp. 240-259
- Slemr, F., Schuster, G., Seiler, W. (1985) J. Atmos. Chem. 3: pp. 407-434
- Slemr, F., Langer, E. (1992) Nature 355: pp. 434-437
- Mercury in the Swedish Environment: Global and Local Sources. National Swedish Environmental Protection Board, Solna, Sweden
- Swain, E.B., Engstrom, D.R., Brigham, M.E., Henning, T.A., Brezonik, P.L. (1992) Science 257: pp. 784-787
- Verta, M., Tolonen, K., Simola, H. (1989) Sci. Total Environ. 87/88: pp. 1-18
- Atmospheric mercury measurements in the northern hemisphere from 56° to 82.5° N latitude
Water, Air, and Soil Pollution
Volume 80, Issue 1-4 , pp 1227-1236
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors