Characterization of mercury species in contaminated floodplain soils
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The chemical form or speciation of mercury (Hg) in the floodplain soils of the East Fork Poplar Creek in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, a site contaminated from past industrial activity, was investigated. The speciation of Hg in the soils is an important factor in controlling the fate and effect of Hg at the site and in assessing human health and ecological risk. Application of three different sequential extraction speciation schemes indicated the Hg at the site was predominantly relatively insoluble mercuric sulfide or metallic Hg, though the relative proportions of each did not agree well between procedures. Application of X-ray and electron beam studies to site soils confirmed the presence of metacinnabar, a form of mercuric sulfide, the first known evidence of authigenic mercuric sulfide formation in soils.
- Dobb, D., Miller, E., Cardenas D., and Brown, K.: 1994.Determination of Mercury, with Speciation, in Poplar Creek Soil Samples, Environmental Protection Agency, Environmental Monitoring Systems Laboratory, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Engler, R. M. and Patrick, W. H.: 1975,Soil Sci. 119, 217–221.
- Fagerstrom, T. and Jernelov, A.: 1971,Water Res. 5, 121–122.
- Gillespie, D. C. and Scott, D. P.: 1971,J. Fish. Res. Board Can. 28, 1807–1808.
- Harris, L.H., Henson, T.J., Combs, D., Melton, R.E., Steele, R.R. and Marsh, G.C.: in press,Water, Air and Soil Pollut.
- Jackson, M.L.: 1975.Soil Chemical Analysis-Advanced Course, published by the author.
- Miller, E.L.: 1993.Speciation of Mercury in Soil, Environmental Protection Agency, Environmental Monitoring Systems Laboratory, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Revis, N. W., Osborne, T. R., Holdsworth, G. and Hadden, C.: 1989.a,Water, Air and Soil Pollut. 45, 105–113.
- Revis, N. W., Osborne, T. R., Sedgley, D. and King, A.: 1989.b,Analyst 114, 823–825.
- Rogers, R. D.: 1979,Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 43, 289–291.
- Sakamoto, H., Tomiyasu, T. and Yonehara, N.: 1992,Anal. Sci. 8, 35–39.
- Stevenson, R., Harris, L., Turner, R. and Barnett, M.: 1994. Proceedings of the Microscopy Society of America Meeting, July 31–August 4, New Orleans, LA.
- Willet, K. L., Turner, R. R. and Beauchamp, J. J.: 1992,Haz. Waste Haz. Mater. 9, 275–288.
- Characterization of mercury species in contaminated floodplain soils
Water, Air, and Soil Pollution
Volume 80, Issue 1-4 , pp 1105-1108
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Environmental Sciences Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, 37831, K25, Oak Ridge, Tennessee
- 2. Technical Division, 37831, K25, Oak Ridge, Tennessee
- 3. Metals and Ceramics Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, 37831, K25, Oak Ridge, Tennessee