Temporal variation of mercury in vegetation
- Pat E. Rasmussen
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Temporal changes in the Hg content of balsam fir needles (Abies balsamea) and white spruce needles (Picea glauca) were monitored at a control site over two growing seasons. Results indicated a significant increase in the Hg content of needles of both species over the course of a growing season and from one year to the next. The Hg content of new foliage more than doubled within each growing season, and was 5–10 ng g−1 higher in the 1990 growing season than in the previous year. These results indicate that temporal variation is a potential source of error when mapping the spatial variation of Hg concentrations in vegetation. To minimize this source of error, field surveys should be completed as quickly as possible (i.e., within two or three weeks).
- Barakso, J.J. and Tarnocai, C.: 1970,Can. Min. Met. Bull., April. 5 pp.
- Barghigiani, C., Gioffre, D. and Bargagli, R.: 1987, InHeavy Metals in the Environment CEP Consultants Ltd, Edinburgh, UK. S.E. Lindberg and T.C. Hutchinson, eds.,2, 51.
- Dunn, C.E.: 1991, Biogeochemistry in mineral exploration. InGeological Survey of Canada, Open File Report 2390. 25 pp.
- Kovalevsky, A.L.: 1986,Biogeochemistry 2, 211.
- Rasmussen, P.E.: 1994, InMercury as a Global Pollutant: Towards Integration and Synthesis. Trace Substances in the Environment Series. Lewis Publishers Inc., Florida, USA, 417–425.
- Rasmussen, P.E.: 1993, PhD Thesis, Earth Sciences Department, University of Waterloo, Canada, 379 pp.
- Rasmussen, P.E., Mierle, G. and Nriagu, J.O.: 1991,Water, Air and Soil Pollut. 56, 379.
- Shaw, B.P. and Panigrahi, A.K.: 1986,Arch. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 15, 439.
- Siegel, S.M., Siegel, B.Z., Lipp, C., Kruckberg, A., Towers, G.H.N., and Warren, H. V.: 1985,Water, Air and Soil Pollut. 25, 73.
- Wyttenbach, A. and Tobler, L., 1988,Trees,2, 52.
- Temporal variation of mercury in vegetation
Water, Air, and Soil Pollution
Volume 80, Issue 1-4 , pp 1039-1042
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Pat E. Rasmussen (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Geological Survey of Canada, 601 Booth Street, K1A 0E8, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada