Mechanisms of deposition of methylmercury and mercury to coniferous forests
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Deposition of methylmercury (MeHg) and mercury (Hg) to a coniferous forest have been investigated using field measurements. Samples of open field (OF) wet deposition, throughfall (TF) and litterfall (LF) have been collected and analyzed for MeHg and Hg during the period November 1991 to April 1994. Average concentrations in TF were 22.8 and 0.38 ng L−1, for Hg and MeHg, respectively. Concentrations in OF precipitation were 11.9 and 0.37 ng L−1, for Hg and MeHg, respectively, during the same period. Considerable differences were found for Hg in TF and OF which was attributed to a dry deposition of Hg. Hg in LF contributes a deposition of equal size as in TF. The relations between OF, TF and total Hg deposition were approximately 1∶1,5∶3. A decrease in OF Hg was found over the three year period studied. MeHg deposition in OF was also found to decrease during the same period whereas the TF MeHg showed a slight increase. Dry deposition of MeHg is also an important process in a coniferous forest although the flux to the forest floor is not via TF but rather as MeHg in LF.
- Bloom, N.S. and Crecelius, E.A.Mar. Chem. 14, 49, 1983.
- Bloom, N.S. and Watras, C.J.Sci. Tot. Environ. 87/88, 199–207, 1989.
- Driscoll, C.T., Otton, J.K. and Iverfeldt, Å. In: SCOPE 51:The Biogeochemistry of Small Catchments A Tool for Environmental Research. Moldan, B. and Cerny, J. (eds.) J Wiley and Sons, Chichester, 1994.
- Godbold, D.L. and Hütterman, A.Physiol. Plant. 74, 270–275.
- Hultberg, H., Iverfeldt, Å. and Lee, Y.-H. In:Mercury as a Global Pollutant — Toward Integration and Synthesis. Watras and Huckabee Eds., Lewis Publishers, NY, 1994, In press.
- Iverfeldt, Å.Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 56, 553–542, 1991.
- Iverfeldt, Å.Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 56, 251–265, 1991.
- Iverfeldt, Å.Mar. Chem,23, 441.
- Iverfeldt, Å., Munthe, J. Brosset, C. and Pacyna, J. This volume.
- Jensen, A. and Iverfeldt, Å. In:Mercury as a Global Pollutant — Toward Integration and Synthesis. Watras and Huckabee Eds., Lewis Publishers, NY, 1994, In press.
- Lee, Y.-H. and Iverfeldt, Å.Wat. Air Soil Pollut. 56, 309–321, 1991.
- Lindberg, S.E., Meyers, T.P., Taylor Jr., G.E., Turner, R.R. and Schroeder, W.H.J. Geophys. Res. 97, 2519–2528, 1992.
- Lindberg, S.E., Owens, J.G. and Stratton, W. In:Mercury as a Global Pollutant — Toward Integration and Synthesis. Watras and Huckabee (Eds.), Lewis Publishers, NY, 1994, In press.
- Lindberg, S.E., Turner, R.R., Meyers, T.P., Taylor Jr., G.E. and Schroeder, W.H.Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 56, 577–594, 1991.
- Lindqvist, O., Johansson, K., Aastrup, M, Andersson, A. Bringmark, L., Hovsenius, G., Håkanson, L., Iverfeldt, Å., Meili, M. and Timm, B.Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 55, 261 p., 1991.
- Munthe, J. and Iverfeldt, Å In: Proceedings from the EPA/A&WMA SymposiumMeasurement of Toxic and Related Air Pollutants., Durham, NC, May 3–7, 1993.
- Munthe, J., Iverfeldt, Å., Brosset, C. and Pacyna, J. 1994, Manuscript to be submitted.
- Mechanisms of deposition of methylmercury and mercury to coniferous forests
Water, Air, and Soil Pollution
Volume 80, Issue 1-4 , pp 363-371
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors