An overview of morphological filtering
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper consists of a tutorial overview of morphological filtering, a theory introduced in 1988 in the context of mathematical morphology. Its first section is devoted to the presentation of the lattice framework. Emphasis is put on the lattices of numerical functions in digital and continuous spaces. The basic filters, namely the openings and the closings, are then described and their various versions are listed. In the third section morphological filters are defined as increasing idempotent operators, and their laws of composition are proved. The last sections are concerned with two special classes of filters and their derivations: first, the alternating sequential filters allow us to bring into play families of operators depending on a positive scale parameter. Finally, the center and the toggle mappings modify the function under study by comparing it, at each point, with a few reference transforms.
- S. Beucher, Segmentation d'images et morphologie mathématique, Ph.D. Thesis, School of Mines, Paris, June 1990.
- S. Beucher and Ch. Lantuéjoul, Use of Watersheds in Contour Detection,Proceedings of the International Workshop on Image Processing, Real-Time Edge, and Motion Detection/Estimation, Rennes, September 1979.
- S. Beucher and L. Vincent, Introduction aux outils morphologiques de segmentation, inTraitement d'images en microscopie à balayage et en microanalyse par sonde électronique, ANRT ed., Paris, pp. F1-F43, March 1990.
- G. Birkhoff,Lattice Theory, 3rd edition, AMS Colloquium Publications, Vol. 25, AMS, Providence, RI, 1983.
- H. J. A. M. Heijmans, Morphological Filtering and Iteration,Proceedings: SPIE Visual Communications and Image Processing '90, Lausanne, October 1990.
- H. J. A. M. Heijmans and C. Ronse, The Algebraic Part of Mathematical Morphology, Part One: Erosions and Dilations,Computer Vision, Graphics, and Image Processing, vol. 50, pp. 245–295, 1990.
- H. J. A. M. Heijmans and J. Serra, Convergence, Continuity, and Iteration in Mathematical Morphology, Internal Report, CWI, Amsterdam, 1990.
- G. Heygster, Rank Filters in Digital Image Processing,Computer Graphics and Image Processing, vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 148–164, June 1982.
- M. B. Kurdy and D. Jeulin, Directional Mathematical Morphology Operations,Acta Stereologica, vol. 8/2,Proceedings of the 5th European Congress for Stereology, Freiburg, September 1989, pp. 473–480.
- Ch. Lantuéjoul and S. Beucher, On the Use of Geodesic Metric in Image Analysis,Journal of Microscopy, vol. 121, pp. 39–49, 1981.
- R. Lougheed,Lecture Notes for Summer Course on Mathematical Morphology, University of Michigan, 1983.
- P. Maragos and R. W. Schafer, Morphological Filters-Part I: Their Set-Theoretic Analysis and Relations to Linear Shift-Invariant Filters”,IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, vol. 35, No. 8, pp. 1153–1169, August 1987.
- P. Maragos and R. W. Schafer, Morphological Filters-Part II: Their Relations to Median, Order-Statistics, and Stack Filters,IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, vol. 35, No. 8, pp. 1170–1184, August 1987.
- G. Matheron,Eléments pour une théorie des milieux poreux, Masson, Paris, 1967.
- G. Matheron,Random Sets and Integral Geometry, Wiley, New York, 1975.
- F. Meyer, Contrast Feature Extraction, inQuantitative Analysis of Microstructures in Material Sciences, Biology and Medicine, J.-L. Chermant, ed. (special issue ofPractical Metallography), Riederer Verlag, Stuttgart, 1978.
- F. Meyer and J. Serra, Contrasts and Activity Lattice,Signal Processing, vol. 16, No. 4 (special issue on Mathematical Morphology), pp. 303–317, April 1989.
- F. Meyer and J. Serra, Filters: From Theory to Pratice,Acta Stereologica, vol. 8/2,Proceedings of the 5th European Congress for Stereology, Freiburg, September 1989, pp. 503–508.
- K. Preston and M. Duff,Modern Cellular Automata, Plenum, New York, 1985.
- C. Ronse, Erosion of Narrow Image Features by Combining Local Rank and Max Filters,Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Image Processing and Its Applications, London, 1986, pp. 77–81.
- C. Ronse and H. J. A. M. Heijmans, The Algebraic Basis of Mathematical Morphology. Part II: Openings and Closings, Internal Report, CWI, Amsterdam, 1988, to appear inComputer Vision, Graphics, and Image Processing: Image Understanding.
- A. Rosenfeld and A. Kak,Digital Image Processing, Academic Press, New'York, 1982.
- J. Serra, Morphologie pour les fonctions “à peu près en tout ou rien”, Internal Report, School of Mines, Paris, 9 pp., April 1975.
- J. Serra,Image Analysis and Mathematical Morphology, Academic Press, London, 1982.
- J. Serra (ed.),Image Analysis and Mathematical Morphology, Part II: Theoretical Advances, Academic Press, London, 1988.
- J. Serra,Itérations et convergence, Internal Report CMM, School of Mines, Paris, 11 pp., February 1989.
- J. Serra, Toggle Mappings, inFrom Pixels to Features, J. C. Simon, ed., North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1989, pp. 61–72.
- J. Serra and L. Vincent,Lecture Notes on Morphological Filtering, Cahiers du Centre de Morphologie Mathématique, No. 8, School of Mines, Paris, 1989.
- S. R. Sternberg, Parallel Architecture for Image Processing,Proceedings of the 3rd International IEEE Compsac, Chicago, 1979.
- S. R. Sternberg, Grayscale Morphology,Computer Vision, Graphics, and Image Processing, vol. 35, pp. 333–355, 1986.
- L. Vincent, Mathematical Morphology for Graphs Applied to Image Description and Segmentation,Proceedings: Electronic Imaging West, Pasedena, CA, April 1989, pp. 313–318.
- L. Vincent, Graphs and Mathematical Morphology,Signal Processing, vol. 16, No. 4 (special issue on Mathematical Morphology), pp. 365–388, April 1989.
- L. Vincent, Algorithmes morphologiques à base de files d'attente et de lacets. Extension aux graphes, Ph.D. Thesis and Cahiers du Centre de Morphologie Mathématique, No. 9, School of Mines, Paris, 301 pp., May 1990.
- L. Vincent and P. Soille, Watersheds in Digital Spaces: An Efficient Algorithm Based on Immersion Simulations,IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 13, No. 6, pp. 583–598, June 1991.
- J. Vitria, Estudi Sobre L'Automatitzacio de I'Analisi Visual de Circuits Integrats Mitjançant Morfologia Matematica, Ph.D. Thesis, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, October 1990.
- P. D. Wendt, E. J. Coyle, and N. C. Gallagher Jr., Stack Filters,IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, vol. 34, No. 4, pp. 898–911, August 1986.
- O. Yli-Harja, J. Astola, and Y. Neuvo, Analysis of the Properties of Median and Weighted Median Filters Using Threshold Logic and Stack Filter Representation, submitted toIEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing.
- An overview of morphological filtering
Circuits, Systems and Signal Processing
Volume 11, Issue 1 , pp 47-108
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors