The surface laplacian, high resolution EEG and controversies
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The surface Laplacian estimate (i.e., current source density) as obtained with spline functions is evaluated in the context of some recent controversies concerning high resolution EEG and source localization. In simulation studies, the spline-Laplacian provides much better estimates of cortical surface potential than is obtained from raw scalp potential, provided dense electrode arrays (e.g., 64 or more electrodes) are used. Spline-Laplacians (which are relatively independent of volume conductor model) provide estimates of cortical potential distribution which are quite similar to those obtained with a cortical imaging algorithm based on a four sphere model.
- Fender, D.H. Source localization of brain electrical activity. In: A.S. Gevins and A. Remond (Eds.), Handbook of Electroen-cephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology, revised series, 1987,1: 355–403.
- Hjorth, B. An on-line transformation of EEG scalp potential into orthogonal source derivations. Electroencephal. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1975, 39: 526–530.
- Katznelson, R.D. Chapter 6 in Nunez, P.L. Electric fields of the brain: the neurophysics of EEG. New York: Oxford University Press, 1981.
- Law, S.K., Nunez, P.L. and Wijesinghe, R.S. High resolution EEG using spline generated surface Laplacians on spherical and ellipsoidal surfaces. IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., 1993, 40: 145–153.
- Law, S.K. and Nunez, P.L. Quantitative representation of the upper surface of the human head. Brain Topography, 1991, 3: 365–371.
- Le, J. and Gevins, A.S. Method to reduce blur distortion from EEG's using a realistic head model. IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., 1993, 40: 517–528.
- Nunez, P.L. Electric fields of the brain: the neurophysics of EEG. New York, Oxford University Press, 1981.
- Nunez, P.L. Localization of brain activity with electroencephalography. In: S. Sato (Ed.), Advances in Neurology: Vol 54 Magnetoencephalography. New York, Raven Press, 1990: 39–65.
- Nunez, P.L. A method to estimate local skull resistance in living subjects. IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., 1987, 34: 902–904.
- Nunez, P.L. Spatial filtering and experimental strategies in EEG. In: D. Samson-Dollfus (Ed.), Statistics and Topography in Quantitative EEG. Paris, Elsevier, 1988: 196–209.
- Nunez, P.L. and Pilgreen, K.L. The spline-Laplacian in clinical neurophysiology: a method to improve EEG spatial resolution. J. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1991, 8: 397–413.
- Nunez, P.L., Silberstein, R.B., Cadusch, P.J., Wijesinghe, R., Westdrop, A.F. and Srinivasan, R. A theoretical and experimental study of high resolution EEG based on surface Laplacians and cortical imaging. Electroencephal. Clin. Neurophysiol., 1994, in press.
- Nunez, P.L., Pilgreen, K.L., Westdrop, A.F., Law, S.K. and Nelson, A.V. A visual study of surface potentials and Laplacians due to distributed neocortical sources: computer simulations and evoked potentials. Brain Topography, 1991, 4: 151–168.
- Penfield, W. and Jasper, H. Epilepsy and the functional anatomy of the human brain. Boston, Little, Brown and Company, 1954.
- Perrin, J., Bertrand, O. and Pernier, J. Scalp current density mapping: value and estimation from potential data. IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., 1987, 34: 283–287.
- Regan, D. Human brain electrophysiology, evoked potentials and evoked magnetic fields in science and medicine. New York, Elsevier, 1989.
- Rush, S. and Driscoll, D.A. EEG electrode sensitivity: an application of reciprocity. IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., 1969, 16: 15–22.
- Silberstein, R.B., Sahier, M.A., Pipingas, A., Ciorciari, J., Wood, S.R. and Simpson, D.G. Steady-state visually evoked potential topography associated with a visual vigilance task. Brain Topography, 1990, 3: 337–347.
- van Dijk, B.W. and Spekreijse, H. The 2 dim-Laplacian field is not suitable to localize sources of EEG activity. Vision Res., 1992, 32: 261–262.
- The surface laplacian, high resolution EEG and controversies
Volume 6, Issue 3 , pp 221-226
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links
- Cortical imaging
- Source localization
- Spatial resolution