Dysfunctional attitudes and the cognitive therapy for depression
- Kevin E. Keller
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Nineteen depressed community volunteers received a replication of the cognitive therapy group treatment used by Shaw (1977). Two groups were created based upon a median split of pretreatment scores on the Dysfunctional Attitude Scale (Weissman & Beck, Note 1). The Beck Depression Inventory, Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression, Hopelessness Scale, and Social Adjustment Scale were administered prior to and following a 4-week treatment and following a 4-week follow-up. Subjects with higher initial levels of dysfunctional attitudes evidenced a poorer response to the treatment than their attitudinally more functional counterparts. This result was robust and held over a residual gain scoring procedure. Results lend support to the hypothesis that dysfunctional attitude level acts as a general psychopathological indicator.
- Weissman, A., & Beck, A. T.Development and validation of the Dysfunctional Attitude Scale. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Association for the Advancement of Behavior Therapy, Chicago, 1978.
- Silver, R. J., Isaacs, K., Sufrin, E., Mansky, P., & Carotenuto, R.Cognitive structure in deparession. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Association for the Advancement of Behavior Therapy, Toronto, November 1980.
- Beck, A. T.Depression: Causes and treatment. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1967.
- Beck, A. T., Rush, A. J., Emery, G., & Shaw, B. F.Cognitive therapy of depression. New York: Guilford Press, 1979.
- Beck, A. T., & Greenburg, R. L. Coping with depression. In A. T. Beck, A. J. Rush, B. F. Shaw, & G. Emery,Cognitive therapy of depression: A treatment manual. Philadelphia: Center for Cognitive Therapy, 1978.
- Beck, A. T., Kovacs, M., & Weissman, A. Hopelessness and suicidal behavior: An overview.Journal of the American Medical Association 1975,234 561–571.
- Coyne, J. C. Depression and the response of others.Journal of Abnormal Psychology 1976,85 186–193.
- Ferster, C. B. A functional analysis of depression.American Psychologist 1973,28 857–870.
- Hamilton, M. A rating scale for depression.Journal of Neurosurgery and Psychiatry 1960,23 56–62.
- Hamilton, M. Development of a rating scale for primary depressive illness.British Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology 1967,6 278–296.
- Hammen, C. L., Jacobs, M., Mayol, A., & Cochran, S. D. Dysfunctional cognitions and the effectiveness of skills and cognitive-behavioral assertion training.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology 1980,48 6, 685–695.
- Kovacs, M. Treating depressive disorders: The efficacy of behavior and cognitive therapies.Behavior Modification 1979,3 4, 496–517.
- Kovacs, M., & Beck, A. T. Maladaptive cognitive structures in depression.American Journal of Psychiatry 1978,135 5, 525–533.
- Lewinsohn, P. M. The behavioral study and treatment of depression. In M. Hersen, R. M. Eisler, & P. M. Miller (Eds.),Progress in behavior modification (Vol. 1), New York: Academic Press, 1974. Pp. 19–64.
- Paykel, F., Weissman, M. M., & Prusoff, B. Social maladjustment and severity of depression.Comprehensive Psychiatry 1978,19 121–128.
- Rehm, L. P. Assessment of depression. In M. Hersen & A. S. Bellack (Eds.),Behavioral assessment: A practical handbook (1st ed.). New York: Pergamon, 1976.
- Rehm, L. P., & Kornblith, S. J. Behavior therapy for depression: A review of recent developments. In M. Hersen, R. M. Eisler, & P. M. Miller (Eds.),Progress in behavior modification (Vol. 7). New York: Academic Press, 1979.
- Shaw, B. F. Comparison of cognitive therapy and behavior therapy in the treatment of depression.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology 1977,45 543–551.
- Spitzer, R. L., Endicott, J., & Robins, E. Research diagnostic criteria: Rationale and reliability.Archives of General Psychiatry 1978,35 773–782.
- Tucker, L., Demarin, F., & Messich, S. A base free measure of change.Psychometrika 1966,31 457–473.
- Weissman, M. M., & Bothwell, A. Assessment of social adjustment by patient self-report.Archives of General Psychiatry 1976,33 1111–1115.
- Weissman, M. M., Prusoff, B., Thompson, W., Harding, P., & Myers, J. Social adjustment by self-report in a community sample and in psychiatric outpatients.Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 1978,166 5, 317–326.
- Dysfunctional attitudes and the cognitive therapy for depression
Cognitive Therapy and Research
Volume 7, Issue 5 , pp 437-444
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Kevin E. Keller (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. ED 220, State University of New York at Albany, 1400 Washington Avenue, 12222, Albany, New York, USA