Psychology of the scientist: An analysis of problem-solving bias
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The problem-solving skills of 30 Ph.D. scientists were compared to those of 15 conservative Protestant ministers. Of particular interest was the frequency with which these groups generated confirmatory (rather than disconfirmatory)experiments to test their hypotheses. Experimental results showed that—contrary to a popular assumption—the reasoning skills of the scientists were not significantly different from those of nonscientists. In this study, the ministers showed a longer latency to speculation and generated more experiments per hypothesis than did the scientists. These findings are discussed in terms of the psychology of the scientist.
- Bacon, F.Novum organum. (original 1621). Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1889.
- Greenwald, A. G. Consequences of prejudice against the null hypothesis.Psychological Bulletin 1975,82 1–20.
- Lakatos, I., & Musgrave, A. (Eds.),Criticism and the growth of knowledge. London: Cambridge University Press, 1970.
- Mahoney, M. J.Cognition and behavior modification. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Ballinger, 1974.
- Mahoney, M. J.Scientist as subject. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Ballinger, 1976.
- Mitroff, I. I.The subjective side of science. New York: Elsevier, 1974.
- Popper, K.Objective knowledge. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1972.
- Rokeach, M.The open and closed mind. New York: Basic Books, 1960.
- Wason, P. C. On the failure to eliminate hypotheses in a conceptual task.Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology 1960,12 129–140.
- Wason, P. C., & Johnson-Laird, P. N. (Eds.),Thinking and reasoning. Baltimore: Penguin, 1968.
- Wason, P. C., & Johnson-Laird, P. N.Psychology of reasoning. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Harvard University Press, 1972.
- Weimer, W. B.Psychology and the conceptual foundations of science. Hillsdale, New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum, in press.
- West, S. S. The ideology of academic scientists.IRE Transactions on Engineering Management, 1960, June, 54–62.
- Psychology of the scientist: An analysis of problem-solving bias
Cognitive Therapy and Research
Volume 1, Issue 3 , pp 229-238
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links