First-order chemical reaction on flow past an impulsively started vertical plate with uniform heat and mass flux
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A finite-difference solution of the transient natural convection flow of an incompressible viscous fluid past an impulsively started semi-infinite plate with uniform heat and mass flux is presented here, taking into account the homogeneous chemical reaction of first order. The velocity profiles are compared with the available theoretical solution and are found to be in good agreement. The steady-state velocity, temperature and concentration profiles are shown graphically. It is observed that due to the presence of first order chemical reaction the velocity decreases with increasing values of the chemical reaction parameter. The local as well as average skin-friction, Nusselt number and Sherwood number are shown graphically.
- Stokes, G. G.: On the effect of internal friction of fluids on the motion of pendulums. Cambridge Phil. Trans.IX, 8–106 (1851).
- Soundalgekar, V. M.: Free convection effects on the Stokes problem for an infinite vertical plate. ASME J. Heat Transfer99, 499–501 (1977).
- Soundalgekar, V. M.: Effects of mass transfer and free convection on the flow past an impulsively started vertical plate. ASME J. Appl. Mech.46, 757–760 (1979).
- Soundalgekar, V. M., Patil, M. R.: Stokes problem for a vertical plate with constant heat flux. Astrophys. Space Sci.70, 179–182 (1980).
- Muthukumaraswamy, R., Ganesan, P.: Unsteady flow past an impulsively started vertical plate with heat and mass transfer. Heat Mass Transfer34, 187–193 (1998).
- Soundalgekar, V. M., Birajdar, N. S., Darwekar, V. K.: Mass transfer effects on the flow past an impulsively started infinite vertical plate with variable temperature or constant heat flux. Astrophysics Space Sci.100, 159–164 (1984).
- Das, U. N., Deka, R. K., Soundalgekar, V. M.: Effects of mass transfer on flow past an impulsively started infinite vertical plate with constant heat flux and chemical reaction. Forschung im Ingenieurwesen-Engineering Research60, 284–287 (1994).
- Carnahan, B., Luther, H. A., Wilkes, J. O.: Applied numerical methods. New York: Wiley 1969.
- Byron Bird, R., Warren, E. S., Lightfoot, E. N.: Transport phenomena. New York: Wiley 1960.
- First-order chemical reaction on flow past an impulsively started vertical plate with uniform heat and mass flux
Volume 147, Issue 1-4 , pp 45-57
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors