Differential distribution of N-acetylaspartylglutamate and N-acetylaspartate immunoreactivities in rat forebrain
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Contradictory immunohistochemical data have been reported on the localization of N-acetylaspartylglutamate in the rat forebrain, using different carbodiimide fixation protocols and antibody purification methods. In one case, N-acetylaspartylglutamate immunoreactivity was observed in apparent interneurons throughout all allocortical and isocortical regions, suggesting possible colocalization with GABA. In another case, strong immunoreactivity was observed in numerous pyramidal cells in neocortex and hippocampus, suggesting colocalization with glutamate or aspartate. Reconciling these disparate findings is crucial to understanding the role of N-acetylaspartylglutamate in nervous system function. Antibodies to N-acetylaspartylglutamate and a structurally related molecule, N-acetylaspartate, were purified in stages, and their cross-reactivities with protein conjugates of N-acetylaspartylglutamate and N-acetylaspartate were monitored at each stage by solidphase immunoassay. Reduction of the cross-reactivity of the anti-N-acetylaspartylglutamate antibodies to N-acetylaspartateprotein conjugates to about 1% eliminated significant staining of most pyramidal neurons in the rat forebrain. Utilizing highly purified antibodies, the distributions of N-acetylaspartylglutamate and N-acetylaspartate were examined in several major telencephalic and diencephalic regions of the rat, and were found to be distinct. N-acetylaspartylglutamate-immunoreactivity was observed in specific neuronal populations, including many groups thought to use GABA as a neurotransmitter. Among these were the globus pallidus, ventral pallidum, entopeducular nucleus, thalamic reticular nucleus, and scattered non-pyramidal neurons in all layers of isocortex and allocortex. N-acetylaspartate-immunoreactivity was more broadly distributed than N-acetylaspartylglutamate-immunoreactivity in the rat forebrain, appearing strongest in many pyramidal neurons. Although N-acetylaspartate-immunoreactivity was found in most neurons, it exhibited a great range of intensities between different neuronal types.
- Bauminger, S. &Wilchek, M. (1980) The use of carbodiimides in the preparation of immunizing conjugates.Methods in Enzymology 70, 151–9.
- Birken, D. L. &Oldendorf, W. H. (1989) N-acetyl-L-aspartic acid: a literature review of a compound prominent in 1H-NMR spectroscopic studies of brain.Neuroscience and Biobehavioural Reviews 13, 23–31.
- Blakely, R. D. &Coyle, J. T. (1988). The neurobiology of N-acetylaspartylglutamate.International Review of Neurobiology 30, 39–100.
- Galli, T., Godeheu, G., Artaud, F., Desce, J. M., Pittaluga, A., Barbeito, L., Glowinski, J. &Chëramy, A. (1991) Specific role of N-acetyl-aspartyl-glutamate in the in vivo regulation of dopamine release from dendrites and nerve terminals of nigrostriatal dopaminergic neurons in the cat.Neuroscience 42, 19–28.
- Goodfriend, T. L., Levine, L. &Fasman, G. D. (1964) Antibodies to bradykinin and angiotensin: a use of carbodiimides in immunology.Science 144, 1344–6.
- Gritti, I., Mainville, L. &Jones, J. E. (1993) Codistribution of GABA—with acetylcholine-synthesizing neurons in the basal forebrain of the rat.Journal of Comparative Neurology 329, 438–57.
- Hagenfeldt, L., Bollgren, I. &Venizelos, N. (1987) N-acetylaspartic aciduria due to aspartoacylase deficiency — a new aetiology of childhood leukodystrophy.Journal of Inherited Metabolic Disease 10, 135–41.
- Henderson, Z. &Salt, T. E. (1988) The effects of N-acetylaspartylgutamate and distribution of N-acetylaspartylglutamate-like immunoreactivity in the rat somatosensory thalamus.Neuroscience 25, 899–906.
- Kendall, P. A., Polak, J. M. &Pearse, A. G. (1971) Carbodiimide fixation for immunohistochemistry: observations on the fixation of polypeptide hormones.Experientia 27, 1104–6.
- Koller, K. J., Zaczek, R. &Coyle, J. T. (1984) N-acetylaspartyl-glutamate: regional levels in rat brain and the effects of brain lesions as determined by a new HPLC method.Journal of Neurochemistry 43, 1136–42.
- Matalon, R., Michals, K., Sebesta, D., Deanching, M., Gashkoff, P. &Casanova, J. (1988) Aspartoacylase deficiency and N-acetylaspartic aciduria in patients with canavan disease.American Journal of Medical Genetics 29, 463–71.
- Miyake, M., Kakimoto, Y. &Sorimachi, M. (1981) A Gas Chromatographic method for the determination of N-acetyl-L-aspartic acid, N-acetyl-aspartylglutamic acid and beta-citryl-L-glutamic acid and their distributions in the brain and other organs of various species of animals.Journal of Neurochemistry 36, 804–10.
- Moffett, J. R., Cassidy, M. &Namboodiri, M. A. (1989) Selective distribution of N-acetylaspartylglutamate immunoreactivity in the extrapyramidal system of the rat.Brain Research 494, 255–66.
- Moffett, J. R., Namboodiri, M. A. &Neale, J. H. (1993) Enhanced carbodiimide fixation for immunohistochemistry: application to the comparative distribution of N-acetylaspartylglutamate and N-acetylaspartate immunoreactivities in rat brain.Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry 41, 559–70.
- Moffett, J. R., Williamson, L. C., Palkovits, M. &Namboodiri, M. A. (1990) N-acetylaspartylglutamate: a transmitter candidate for the retinohypothalamic tract.Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA) 87, 8065–9.
- Moffett, J. R., Namboodiri, M. A., Cangro, C. B. &Neale, J. H. (1991a) Immunohistochemical localization of N-acetylaspartate in rat brain.Neuroreport 2, 131–4.
- Moffett, J. R., Williamson, L. C., Neale, J. H., Palkovits, M. &Namboodiri, M. A. (1991b) Effect of optic nerve transection on N-acetylaspartylglutamate immunoreactivity in the primary and accessory optic projection systems in the rat.Brain Research 538, 86–94.
- Moffett, J. R., Palkovits, M., Namboodiri, M. A. &Neale, J. H. (1994) Comparative distribution of N-acetylaspartylglutamate and GAD67 immunoreactivities in the cerebellum and precerebellar nuclei of the rat utilizing enhanced carbodiimide fixation and immunohistochemistry.Journal of Comparative Neurology 347, 598–618.
- Ottersen, O. P., Storm-Mathisen, J., Madsen, S., Skumlien, S. &Strømhaug, J. (1986) Evaluation of the immunocytochemical method for amino acids.Medical Biology 64, 147–58.
- Perouansky, M. &Grantyn, R. (1990) Is Gaba Release Modulated by presynaptic excitatory amino acid receptors?Neuroscience Letters 113, 292–7.
- Puttfarcken, P. S., Handen, J. S., Montgomery, D. T., Coyle, J. T. &Werling, L. L. (1993) N-acetylaspartylglutamate modulation of N-methyl-D-aspartatestimulated [3H]norepinephrine release from rat hippocampal slices.Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics 266, 796–803.
- Sekiguchi, M., Wada, K. &Wenthold, R. J. (1992) N-acetylaspartylglutamate acts as an agonist upon homomeric NMDA receptor (NMDAR1) expressed inXenopus oocytes.FEBS Letters 311, 285–9.
- Shibata, H. (1993) Efferent projections from the anterior thalamic nuclei to the cingulate cortex in the rat.Journal of Comparative Neurology 330, 533–42.
- Shiosaka, S., Kiyama, H., Wanaka, A. &Tohyama, M. (1986) A new method for producing a specific and high titre antibody against glutamate using colloidal gold as a carrier.Brain Research 382, 399–403.
- Simmons, M. L., Frondoza, C. G. &Coyle, J. T. (1991) Imunocytochemical localization of N-acetyl-aspartate with monoclonal antibodies.Neuroscience 45, 37–45.
- Swanson, L. W. (1992)Brain maps: structure of the rat brain. Elsevier: Amsterdam.
- Tieman, S. B., Cangro, C. B. &Neale, J. H. (1987) N-acetylaspartylglutamate immunoreactivity in neurons of the cat's visual system.Brain Research 420, 188–93.
- Tieman, S. B., Neale, J. H. &Tieman, D. G. (1991) N-acetylaspartylglutamate immunoreactivity in neurons of the monkey's visual pathway.Journal of Comparative Neurology 313, 45–64.
- Tsai, G., Slusher, B. S., Sim, L. &Coyle, J. T. (1993) Immunocytochemical distribution of N-acetylaspartylglutamate in the rat forebrain and glutamatergic pathways.Journal of Chemical Neuroanatomy 6, 277–92.
- Vandekerckhove, J. &Weber, K. (1978) Mammalian cytoplasmic actins are the products of at least two genes and differ in primary structure in at least 25 identified positions from skeletal muscle actins.Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA) 75, 1106–10.
- Westbrook, G. L., Mayer, M. L., Namboodiri, M. A. &Neale, J. H. (1986) High concentrations of N-acetylaspartylglutamate (NAAG) selectively activate NMDA receptors on mouse spinal cord neurons in cell culture.Journal of Neuroscience 6, 3385–92.
- Williamson, L. C., Eagles, D. A., Brady, M. J., Moffett, J. R., Namboodiri, M. A. &Neale, J. H. (1991) Localization and synaptic release of N-acetylaspartylglutamate in the chick retina and optic tectum.European Journal of Neuroscience 3, 441–51.
- Willingham, M. C. &Yamada, S. S. (1979) Development of a new primary fixative for electron microscopic immunocytochemical localization of intracellular antigens in cultured cells.Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry 27, 947–60.
- Differential distribution of N-acetylaspartylglutamate and N-acetylaspartate immunoreactivities in rat forebrain
Journal of Neurocytology
Volume 24, Issue 6 , pp 409-433
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links