Simulator-mediated acquisition of a dynamic control skill
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Uses of stored skill-models to accelerate simulator-based real-time training in a control skill are discussed. A real-time coach must deliver advice at three levels: (1) what to do next, (2) what to watch for, and (3) what went wrong. Human learning and machine learning results are presented using different screen representations of a pole-and-cart balancing task.
- Donaldson, P.E.K. (1960). Error decorrelation: a technique for matching a class of functions. Proc. III Internat. Conf. on Medical Electronics. 173–178.
- Chambers, R.A. and Michie, D. (1969) Man-machine co-operation in a learning task. In Computer Graphics: Techniques and Applications (eds. R. Parslow, R. Prowse and R. Elliott Green). London: Plenum Publishing Co. 179–186.
- Michie, D., Bain, M. and Hayes Michie, J.E. (1990) Cognitive models from subcognitive skills. In Knowledge-Based Systems in Industrial Control (eds. M. Grimble, J. NcGhee and P. Mowforth), Stevenage, UK. Peter Peregrinus. 71–99.
- Michie, D. and Sammut, C. (1995) Behavioural clones and cognitive skill models. In Machine Intelligence 14, Oxford University Press. 387–395.
- Reber, A.S. (1995) The Penguin Dictionary of Psychology, Penguin Books.
- Sammut, C. Hurst, S, Kedzier, D. and Michie, D. (1992) Learning to fly. In Proc. 9th Internat. Machine Learning Conf (ML92) (ed. D.H. Sleeman), San Mateo, CA: Morgan Kaufmann.
- Seashore, R.M. (1965) Work and motor performance. In Handbook of Experimental Psychology, 7th edition (ed. S.S. Stevens), John Wiley, 1341–62.
- Shapiro, A.D. (1987) Structured Induction in Expert Systems, Addison-Wesley.
- Urbančič, T., and Bratko, I. (1994). Reconstructing human skill with machine learning. In Proc. Europ. Conf. on AI (ECAI 94), Amsterdam.
- Urbančič, T., Bratko, I. (1995) Controlling Container Cranes: A Case-Study in Reconstruction of Human Skill. Electrotechnical Reviews 62 (3–4), Ljubljana, 199–205. (also in AIT'95 Proceedings (Artificial Intelligence Techniques), eds. J.Zizka, P.Brazdil, Brno, 1995. 113–127).
- Simulator-mediated acquisition of a dynamic control skill
AI & SOCIETY
Volume 12, Issue 1-2 , pp 71-77
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Human-centred design
- Learning systems
- Real-time tasks
- Industry Sectors