A study of ultrasonic vibration cutting of carbon fibre reinforced plastics
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In the use of carbon fibre reinforced plastics (CFRP) it is often necessary to cut the components, but cutting CFRP is often made difficult by delamination of the composites and by the short tool life. In this paper, the machinability of CFRP by means of ultrasonic vibration cutting was experimentally investigated. The experimental results have led to a trial application of ultrasonic vibration cutting, which has been verified experimentally to be highly effective in view of cutting force and surface quality.
- M. P. De Goeje and K. E. D. Wapenaar, “Non-destructive inspection of carbon fibre — reinforced plastics using eddy current methods”,Composites,23(3), pp. 147–157, 1992.
- Terumichi Ono, “The future prospect of CFRP for industrial uses”,Transactions JSCM,11(2), pp. 35–40, 1985.
- G. Lubin,Handbook of Composites, pp. 625–629, Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1982.
- A. Koplev, A. Lystrup and T. Vorm, “The cutting process, chips, and cutting forces in machining CFRP”,Composites,14(4), pp. 371–376, 1983.
- T. Kaneeda, “CFRP cutting mechanism”,NAMRC, XV, III, pp. 216–221, 1989.
- R. C. Skelton, “Effect of ultrasonic vibration on the turning process”,International Journal of Machine Tool Design and Research,9, pp. 363–374, 1969.
- H. Takeyama and N. Lijima, “Machinability of CFRP and application of ultrasonic machining”,Annals of CIRP,37, pp. 93–96, 1988.
- Jeong Du Kim and Yoon Keun Kwak, “A study on precision machining with ultrasonic vibration”,Transactions of the Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers,14(4), pp. 818–829, 1990.
- L. Shikhanter, B. Cina and I. Eldror, “Fractography of multidirectional CFRP composites tested statically”,Composites,22, pp. 437–444, 1991.
- A study of ultrasonic vibration cutting of carbon fibre reinforced plastics
The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology
Volume 12, Issue 2 , pp 78-86
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Carbon fibre reinforced plastics (CFRP)
- Critical cutting speed
- Single crystal diamond tool
- Ultrasonic vibration cutting
- Industry Sectors