The stabilizing role of higher-order strain gradients in non-linear thermoviscoplasticity
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The stabilizing role of higher order strain gradients incorporated in the constitutive equation for the stress is illustrated. It is shown, in particular, that these gradients “smooth out” possible non-uniformities in strain and temperature that may develop in a thermoviscoplastic slab sheared by a constant boundary force. Moreover, it is demonstrated that the occurrence and nature of instability is qualitatively different than the localized “catastrophic” shear banding instability of the classical analysis where higher order strain gradients are not included.
- Dafermos, C. M.: Contemporary issues in the dynamic behaviour of continuous media. Lefschetz Center for Dynamical Systems, Brown University, Providence, Lecture Notes85-1 (1985).
- Charalambakis, N.: Adiabatic shearing flow caused by time-dependent inertial force. Quart. Appl. Math.42, 275–280 (1984).
- Tzavaras, A.: Shearing of materials exhibiting thermal softening or temperature dependent viscosity. Quart. Appl. Math.44, 1–12 (1986).
- Molinari, A.: Instabilite thermoviscoplastique en cisaillement simple. J. Mec. Theor. Appl.4, 659–684 (1985).
- Fressengeas, C., Molinari, A.: Instability and localization of plastic flow in shear at high strain rates. J. Mech. Phys. Solids35, 185–211 (1987).
- Tzavaras, A. E.: Effect of thermal softening in shearing of strain-rate dependent materials. Arch. Rat. Mech. Anal.99, 349–374 (1987).
- Charalambakis, N.: Non-uniformities and stability in thermal fluid mechanics. J. Thermal Stresses11, 325–340 (1988).
- Aifantis, E. C.: On the microstructural origin of certain inelastic models. Trans. ASME, J. Eng. Mat. Tech.106, 326–330 (1984).
- Aifantis, E. C.: The physics of plastic deformation. Int. J. Plasticity3, 211–247 (1987).
- Charalambakis, N., Aifantis, E. C.: On stress controlled thermoviscoplastic shearing and higher order strain gradients. Acta Mechanica81, 109–114 (1990).
- Smoller, J.: Shock waves and reaction-diffusion equations. New York: Springer 1983.
- Charalambakis, N., Aifantis, E. C.: Thermoviscoplastic shear instability and higher order strain gradients. MM Report16, Dept. Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics, Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI, 1988. [See also: Charalambakis, N., Aifantis, E. C.: On the problem of shear instability of a finite thermoviscoplastic slab: a gradient approach. Mech. Res. Comm.17, 231–238 (1990)].
- Rigatos, A. P., Charalambakis, N.: Double-gradient stabilization in non-linear thermoviscoplasticity. Bulgarian J. Theor. Appl. Mech. (in press).
- The stabilizing role of higher-order strain gradients in non-linear thermoviscoplasticity
Volume 86, Issue 1-4 , pp 65-81
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors