Depression, hypomania, and expectation of future success among alcoholics
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The present study investigated the effects of differing levels of depression and hypomania on alcoholics' expectancy for future success on chance and skill tasks. Subjects were classified into four groups based upon scores on the Beck Depression Inventory and the MMPI hypomania scale. The primary finding suggests that these two variables exert an interactive effect on such expectancies. The presence of hypomania among highly depressed alcoholics appears to counteract the typical depressive influence on expectancies, leading to a perception of response-outcome dependence similar to that found among nondepressed nonhypomanic subjects. The presence of hypomania in the absence of depression leads to patterns of dampened expectancies similar to those among depressed-nonhypomanic subjects. The relationship of these findings to propositions of the learned helplessness model of depression is discussed.
- Abramson, L. Y., Garber, J., Edwards, N. B., & Seligman, M. E. P. Expectancy changes in depression and schizophrenia.Journal of Abnormal Psychology 1978,87 102–109.
- Abramson, L. Y., Seligman, M. E. P., & Teasdale, J. E. Learned helplessness in humans: Critique and reformulation.Journal of Abnormal Psychology 1978,87 49–74.
- Beck, A. T.Depression: Clinical, experimental, and theoretical aspects. New York: Harper & Row, 1967.
- Blaney, P. H. Contemporary theories of depression: Critique and comparison.Journal of Abnormal Psychology 1977,86 203–223.
- Dahlstrom, W. G., Welsh, G. S., & Dahlstrom, L. E.An MMPI handbook. Vol. I: Clinical interpretation (Rev. ed.). Minneapolis: University of Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 1972.
- Feighner, J. P., Robins, E., Guze, S. B., Woodruff, R. A. Winokur, G., & Munoz, R. Diagnostic criteria for use in psychiatric research.Archives of General Psychiatry 1972,26 57–63.
- Freed, E. X. Alcoholism and manic-depressive disorders: Some perspectives.Quarterly Journal of Studies on Alcohol 1970,31 62–89.
- Gibson, S., & Becker, J. Alcoholism and depression: The factor structure of alcoholics' responses to depression inventories.Quarterly Journal of Studies on Alcohol 1973,34 400–408.
- Klein, D. C., & Seligman, M. E. P. Reversal of performance deficits and perceptual deficits in learned helplessness and depression.Journal of Abnormal Psychology 1976,86 11–26.
- Maier, S. F., & Seligman, M. E. P. Learned helplessness: Theory and research.Journal of Experimental Psychology, General 1975,105 3–46.
- Marks, P. A., & Seeman, W.The actuarial description of abnormal personality. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins, 1963.
- Mayfield, D. G., & Coleman, L. L. Alcohol use and affective disorder.Diseases of the Nervous System 1968,29 467–474.
- Miller, W. R., & Seligman, M. E. P. Depression and the perception of reinforcement.Journal of Abnormal Psychology 1973,82 62–73.
- Miller, W. R., & Seligman, M. E. P. Depression and learned helplessness in man.Journal of Abnormal Psychology 1975,84 228–238.
- Miller, W. R., Seligman, M. E. P., & Kurlander, H. M. Learned helplessness, depression, and anxiety.Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 1975,161 347–357.
- O'Leary, M. R., Donovan, D. M., Cysewski, B., & Chaney, E. F. Perceived locus of control, experienced control and depression: A trait description of the learned helplessness model of depression.Journal of Clinical Psychology 1977,33 164–168.
- O'Leary, M. R., Donovan, D. M., Krueger, K. J., & Cysewski, B. Depression and perception of reinforcement: Lack of differences in expectancy change among alcoholics.Journal of Abnormal Psychology 1978,87 110–112.
- Phares, E. J.Locus of control in personality. Morristown, New Jersey: General Learning Press, 1976.
- Pitts, F. N., Jr., & Winokur, G. Affective disorder. VII. Alcoholism and affective disorder.Journal of Psychiatric Research 1966,4 37–50.
- Reich, L. H., Davies, R. K., & Himmelhoch, J. M. Excessive alcohol use in manic-depressive illness.American Journal of Psychiatry 1974,131 83–86.
- Rotter, J. B. Generalized expectancies for internal versus external control of reinforcement.Psychological Monographs, 1966,80(1 Whole No. 609).
- Seligman, M. E. P. Depression and learned helplessness. In R. J. Friedman & M. M. Katz (Eds.),The psychology of depression: Contemporary theory and research. Washington, D.C.: Winston-Wiley, 1974.
- Seligman, M. E. P.Helplessness. San Francisco: W. H. Freeman, 1975.
- Seligman, M. E. P. Comment and integration.Journal of Abnormal Psychology 1978,87 165–179.
- Weingold, H. P., Lachin, J. M., Bell, A. H., & Coxe, R. C. Depression as a symptom of alcoholism: Search for a phenomenon.Journal of Abnormal Psychology 1968,73 196–197.
- Winer, B. J.Statistical principles in experimental design (2nd ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill, 1971.
- Winokur, G., Clayton, P. J., & Reich, T.Manic depressive disease. Saint Louis: C. V. Mosby, 1969.
- Depression, hypomania, and expectation of future success among alcoholics
Cognitive Therapy and Research
Volume 3, Issue 2 , pp 141-154
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links