Invalid use of the Beck Depression Inventory to identify depressed college-student subjects: A methodological comment
- William P. Sacco
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The author would like to thank Suzette Milana and an anonymous reviewer for their thoughtful consideration and suggestions, which improved this manuscript considerably.
- Beck, A. T.Depression: Causes and treatment. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1967.
- Beck, A. T., Ward, C. H., Mendelson, M., Mock, J., & Erbaugh, J. An inventory for measuring depression.Archives of General Psychiatry 1961,4 561–571.
- Bumberry, W., Oliver, J. M., & McClure, J. N. Validation of the Beck Depression Inventory in a university population using psychiatric estimate as a criterion.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology 1978,46 150–155.
- Ciminero, A. R., & Steingarten, K. A. The effects of performance standards on self-evaluation and self-reinforcement in depressed and nondepressed individuals.Cognitive Therapy and Research 1978,2 179–182.
- Cook, T. D., & Campbell, D. J. The design and conduct of quasi-experiments and true experiments in field settings. In M. Dunnette (Ed.),Handbook of industrial and organizational psychology. Skokie, Illinois: Rand McNally, 1976.
- Craighead, W. E., Hickey, K. S., & DeMonbreun, B. G. Distortion of perception and recall of neutral feedback in depression.Cognitive Therapy and Research 1979,3 291–298.
- Golin, S. G., Hartman, S. A., Klatt, E., Munz, K., & Wolfgang, G. Effects of self-esteem manipulation on arousal and reactions to sad models in depressed and nondepressed college students.Journal of Abnormal Psychology 1977,86 435–439.
- Golin, S. G., & Terrell, F. Motivational and associative aspects of depression in skill and chance tasks.Journal of Abnormal Psychology 1977,86 389–401.
- Golin, S. G., Terrell, F., & Johnson, B. Depression and the illusion of control.Journal of Abnormal Psychology 1977,86 440–442.
- Hammen, C., & Krantz, S. Effect of success and failure on depressive cognitions.Journal of Abnormal Psychology 1976,85 577–586.
- Kilpatrick-Tabak, B., & Roth, S. An attempt to reverse performance deficits associated with depression and experimentally induced helplessness.Journal of Abnormal Psychology 1978,87 141–154.
- Klein, D. C., & Seligman, M. E. P. Reversal of performance deficits and perceptual deficits in learned helplessness and depression.Journal of Abnormal Psychology 1976,85 11–26.
- McNitt, P. C., & Thornton, D. W. Depression and perceived reinforcement: A reconsideration.Journal of Abnormal Psychology 1978,87 137–140.
- Rizley, R. Depression and distortion in the attribution of causality.Journal of Abnormal Psychology 1978,87 32–48.
- Sacco, W. P., & Hokanson, J. E. Expectations of success and anagram performance of depressives in a public and a private setting.Journal of Abnormal Psychology 1978,87 122–130.
- Schrader, S. L., Craighead, W. E., & Schrader, R. M. Reinforcement patterns in depression.Behavior Therapy 1978,9 1–14.
- Schwarz, J. C., & Zuroff, V. C. Family structure and depression in female college students: Effects of parental conflict, decision-making power, and inconsistency of love.Journal of Abnormal Psychology 1979,88 398–406.
- Willis, M., & Blaney, P. H. Three tests of the learned helplessness model of depression.Journal of Abnormal Psychology 1978,87 131–136.
- Zuckerman, M., & Lubin, B.Manual for the Multiple Affect Adjective Checklist. San Diego: Educational and Industrial Testing, 1965.
- Invalid use of the Beck Depression Inventory to identify depressed college-student subjects: A methodological comment
Cognitive Therapy and Research
Volume 5, Issue 2 , pp 143-147
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- William P. Sacco (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychology, University of South Florida, 33620, Tampa, Florida, USA