Group versus individual cognitive therapy: A pilot study
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This study and preparation of this paper were supported in part by NIMH Grant MH-28459-03. A preliminary version of this report was presented at the American Psychological Association meetings, Chicago, August 1978. We wish to express our appreciation to Steve Kowalski for his assistance in data analysis; to Ms. Vicki Andruss and Ms. Shirley Poteet for their secretarial efforts; and to our therapists, Dr. Manoochr Khatmai, Dr. Stanley Rest, Ms. Jacque Cook, Ms. Sheila Howard, and Ms. Naita Czyzewski.
- American Psychiatric Association.Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders—II. Washington, D.C.: Author, 1968.
- American Psychiatric Association.Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders—III. Washington, D.C.: Author, 1978.
- Baldessarini, R. J.Chemotherapy in psychiatry. Cambridge: Harvard University Pess, 1977.
- Beck, A. T. Thinking and depression: I. Idiosyncratic content and cognitive distortions.Archives of General Psychiatry 1963,9 324–333.
- Beck, A. T.Depression: Clinical, experimental, and theoretical aspects. New York: Harper & Row, 1967. (Republished asDepressions: Causes and treatment. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1972.
- Beck, A. T.Cognitive therapy and the emotional disorders. New York: InternationalUniversities Press, 1976.
- Beck, A. T., & Beamesderfer, A. Assessment of depression: The depression inventory. In P. Pichot (Ed.),Modern problems in pharmacopsychiatry (Vol. 7). Basel, Switzerland: Karger, 1974.
- Beck, A. T., Rush, A. J., Shaw, B. F., & Emery, G.Cognitive therapy of depression: A treatment manual New York: Guifford Press, 1979
- Beck, A. T., Ward, C. H., Mendelson, M., Mock, J., & Erbaugh, J. An inventory for measuring depression.Archives of General Psychiatry 1961,4 561–571.
- Feighner, J. P., Robins, E., Guze, S. B., Woodruffe, R. A., Winokur, G.,Archives of General Psychiatry 1972,26 57–63.
- Friedman, A. S. Interaction of drug therapy with marital therapy in depressive patients.Archives of General Psychiatry 1975,32 619–637.
- Gioe, V. J. Cognitive modification and positive group experience as a treatment for depression (Doctoral dissertation, Temple University, 1975).Dissertation Abstracts International 1975,36 3039B-3040B. (University Microfilms No. 75-28, 219)
- Hamilton, M. A rating scale for depression.Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, andPsychiatry, 1960,23 56–61.
- Hamilton, M. Standardized assessment and recording of depressive symptoms.Psychiatria, Neurologia, Neurochirugia 1969,72 201–205.
- McLean, P. D., & Hakstian, H. R. Clinical depression: Comparative efficacy of outpatient treatments.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology 1979,47 818–836.
- Morris, N. E. A group self-instruction method for the treatment of depressed outpatients (Doctoral dissertation, University of Toronto, 1975).
- Rush, A. J., Beck, A. T., Kovacs, M., & Hollon, S. Comparative efficacy of cognitive therapy and pharmacotherapy in the treatment of depressed outpatients.Cognitive Therapy and Research 1977,1 17–37.
- Schmickley, V. G. The effects of cognitive-behavior modification upon depressed outpatients (Doctoral dissertation, Michigan State University, 1976). Dissertation Abstracts International, 1976,37 987B-988B. (University Microfilms No. 76–78, 675)
- Shaw, B. F. Comparison of cognitive therapy and behavior therapy in the treatment of depression.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology 1977,45 543–551.
- Shaw, B. F., & Hollon, S. Cognitive therapy in a group format with depressed outpatients.Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice, 1978,
- Shipley, C. R., & Fazio, A. F. Pilot study of a treatment for psychological depression.Journal of Abnormal Psychology 1973,83 372–376.
- Taylor, F. G., & Marshall, W. L. Experimental analysis of a cognnitive-behavioral therapy for depression.Cognitive Therapy and Research 1977,1 59–72.
- Group versus individual cognitive therapy: A pilot study
Cognitive Therapy and Research
Volume 5, Issue 1 , pp 95-103
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links