Non-linear properties of polymer cellular materials with a negative Poisson's ratio
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Negative Poisson's ratio polymeric cellular solids (re-entrant foams) were studied to ascertain the optimal processing procedures which give rise to the smallest value of Poisson's ratio. The non-linear stress-strain relationship was determined for both conventional and re-entrant foams; it depended upon the permanent volumetric compression achieved during the processing procedure. Poisson's ratio of re-entrant foam measured as a function of strain was found to have a relative minimum at small strains. The toughness of re-entrant foam increased with permanent volumetric compression, and hence with density.
- L. J. Gibson andM. F. Ashby, “Cellular Solids” (Pergamon, Oxford, 1988) pp. 120–168.
- S. P. Timoshenko, “History of Strength of Materials” (Dover, New York, 1983) pp. 216–217, 248–249.
- A. E. H. Love, “A Treatise on the Mathematical Theory of Elasticity” (Dover, New York, 1944) p. 13.
- O. G. Ingles, I. K. Lee andR. C. Neil,Rock Mechan. 5 (1973) 203.
- R. S. Lakes,Science 235 (1987) 1038.
- K. E. Evans,J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 22 (1989) 1870.
- B. D. Caddock andK. E. Evans,ibid. 22 (1989) 1877.
- K. E. Evans andB. Caddock,ibid. 22 (1989) 1883.
- S. P. Timoshenko andJ. N. Goodier, “Theory of Elasticity” (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1982) p. 398.
- R. E. Peterson, “Stress Concentration Factors” (Wiley, New York, 1974) p. 137.
- E. A. Friis, R. S. Lakes andJ. B. Park,J. Mater. Sci. 23 (1988) 4406.
- “Annual Book of ASTM Standards”, E 8M-85 (1986).
- Idem., E 9-81 (1986).
- M. F. Beatty andD. O. Stalnaker,J. Appl. Mech. 53 (1986) 807.
- S. K. Maiti, L. J. Gibson andM. F. Ashby,Acta Metall. 32 (1984) 1963.
- K. C. Rusch,J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 13 (1969) 2297.
- E. Q. Clutton andG. N. Rice, in Proceedings of 20th International Conference on Cell. Polym., London, 20–22 March 1991 (Rubra Technology).
- F. A. Shutov,Adv. Polym. Sci. 51 (1983) 155.
- E. A. Blair, “Resinography of Cellular Plastics”, ASTM Special Publication No. 414 (1967) p. 84.
- J. W. Hartings andJ. H. Hagan,J. Cell. Plast. 14 (1978) 81.
- J. B. Choi andR. S. Lakes,J. Cell. Polym. in press.
- Non-linear properties of polymer cellular materials with a negative Poisson's ratio
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 27, Issue 17 , pp 4678-4684
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors