Effective bandwidths for the multi-type UAS channel
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The Uniform Arrival and Service (UAS) model is one of several appropriate to modelling traffic offered to a multi-service communication channel. We exhibit, via asymptotics and a range of specific examples, that it is possible to assign a notionaleffective bandwidth to each source, dependent not only on its mean bandwidth but also on its burstiness and on the channel. The effective bandwidth can be calculated quickly and efficiently using the results of Anick, Mitra and Sondhi and reduces the multi-service network to the more familar, and well understood, form of a traditional circuit-switched network.
- D. Anick, D. Mitra and M.M. Sondhi, Stochastic theory of a data-handling system with multiple sources, Bell Sys. Tech. J. 61 (1982).
- J. Appleton, Modelling a connection acceptance strategy for asychronous transfer mode networks,Int. Teletraffic Congress, 7th Specialist Seminar, Morristown, NJ (1990).
- J.N. Daigle and J.D. Langford, Models for analysis of packet voice communication systems, IEEE J. Selected Areas in Commun. SAC-4 (1986).
- A.I. Elwalid, D. Mitra and T.E. Stern, A theory of statistical multiplexing of Markovian sources: spectral expansions and algorithms,Proc. 13th Int. Teletraffic Congress, Copenhagen, Denmark (1991).
- R.J. Gibbens, P.J. Hunt and F.P. Kelly, On models of buffering, paper in preparation (1991).
- T.R. Griffiths, Analysis of connection acceptance strategies in asynchronous transfer mode networks,Globecom '90 (1990).
- J.Y. Hui, Resource allocation for broadband networks, IEEE J. Selected Areas in Commun. 6 (1988).
- P.J. Hunt, Asymptotic behaviour of an integrated video-data network, to appear in Prob. Eng. Inf. Sci. (1991).
- F.P. Kelly, Effective bandwidths at multi-type queues, this issue.
- F.P. Kelly, Blocking probabilites in large circuit-switched networks, Adv. Appl. Prob. 20 (1986) 112–44.
- L. Koten, Stochastic theory of data handling systems with groups of multiple sources,Proc. 2nd Int. Symp. on the Performance of Computer Communication Systems, eds. H. Rudin and W. Bux (North-Holland, 1984).
- B. Maglaris, D. Anastassiou, P. Sen, G. Karlsson and J.D. Robbbins, Performance models of statistical multiplexing in packet video communications, IEEE Trans. Commun. COM-36 (1988).
- D. Mitra, Stochastic theory of a fluid model of producers and consumers coupled by a buffer, Adv. Appl. Prob. 20 (1988) 646–676.
- A. Weiss, A new technique for analyzing large traffic systems, Adv. Appl. Prob. 18 (1986) 506–532.
- Effective bandwidths for the multi-type UAS channel
Volume 9, Issue 1-2 , pp 17-27
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- ATM networks
- large deviations
- UAS channels
- Industry Sectors