Retrial queues with server subject to breakdowns and repairs
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper we consider a single server retrial queue where the server is subject to breakdowns and repairs. New customers arrive at the service station according to a Poisson process and demand i.i.d. service times. If the server is idle, the incoming customer starts getting served immediately. If the server is busy, the incoming customer conducts a retrial after an exponential amount of time. The retrial customers behave independently of each other. The server stays up for an exponential time and then fails. Repair times have a general distribution. The failure/repair behavior when the server is idle is different from when it is busy. Two different models are considered. In model I, the failed server cannot be occupied and the customer whose service is interrupted has to either leave the system or rejoin the retrial group. In model II, the customer whose service is interrupted by a failure stays at the server and restarts the service when repair is completed. Model II can be handled as a special case of model I. For model I, we derive the stability condition and study the limiting behavior of the system by using the tools of Markov regenerative processes.
- A.M. Aleksandrov, A queueing system with repeated orders, Eng. Cybernet. Rev. 12, 3 (1974) 1.
- B.D. Choi and K.K. Park,M/G/1 retrial queue with Bernoulli schedule, Queueing Systems 7 (1990) 219–227.
- G.I. Falin, A single-line system with secondary orders, Eng. Cybernet. Rev. 17, 2 (1989) 76.
- G.I. Falin, Retrial queues, Queueing Systems 7 (1990) 127–167.
- D.P. Gaver, Jr., A waiting line with interrupted service including priorities, J. Roy. Stat. Soc. B25 (1962) 73.
- T. Yang and J.G.C. Templeton, A survey on retrial queues, Queueing Systems 2 (1987) 201.
- Retrial queues with server subject to breakdowns and repairs
Volume 7, Issue 2 , pp 191-208
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Retrial queues
- imbedded Markov chains
- Markov regenerative processes
- Industry Sectors