Observation of slip transmission through a grain boundary in ice
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In-situ X-ray topography has been used to provide the first clear demonstration of slip transmission through a grain boundary in hexagonal ice. Although the ice was deformed under creep conditions, the relative orientation of the grains and the orientation of the grain boundary with respect to the loading direction discouraged grain boundary sliding and, thus, suppressed dislocation nucleation at the grain boundary. This particular geometrical arrangement is rarely encountered, suggesting that slip transmission through grain boundaries in ice is a rare event.
- S. Ahmad, M. Ohtomo andR. W. Whitworth,Nature 319 (1986) 659.
- F. Liu, I. Baker, G. Yao andM. Dudley,Phil. Mag. Lett. 65 (1992) 279.
- F. Liu, I. Baker andM. Dudley,Phil. Mag. A 67 (1993) 1261.
- Idem, Phil. Mag. 71 (1995) 15.
- F. Liu andI. Baker,Meas. Sci. Technol. 4 (1993) 416.
- C. Shearwood andR. W. Whitworth,Phil. Mag. A 64 (1991) 289.
- F. Liu andI. Baker,Microsc. Soc. Amer. Bull. 24 (1994) 351.
- M. Oguro andT. Hondoh, in “Lattice Defects in Ice Crystals”, edited by A. Higashi (Hokkaido University Press, Sapporo, Japan, 1988) p. 54.
- I. Baker andF. Liu, in Proceedings of the Materials Research Society, 1994, Vol.319, (Materials Research Society) p. 203.
- X. Baillin, J. Pelissier, J. J. Bacmann, A. Jacques andA. George,Phil. Mag. A 55 (1987) 143.
- A. Jacques, H. A. Benhoma, A. George andX. Baillin, in Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Intergranular and Interphase Boundaries, Material Science Forum, 1993, Vol. 126–128, p. 333.
- H. M. Michaud, X. Baillin, A. Jacques, H. A. Benhoma andA. George, in Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Intergranular and Interphase Boundaries, Material Science Forum, 1993, Vol. 126–128, p. 491.
- Observation of slip transmission through a grain boundary in ice
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 31, Issue 9 , pp 2373-2378
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors