Structure and properties of Fe-Fe2B cermets
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The possibilities of producing Fe-Fe2B cermets as a result of sintering the pure elements Fe and B in a vacuum have been analysed. Attempts at sintering in the solid phase and with the participation of the liquid phase, the Fe-Fe2B eutectic, have been made. Metallographic qualitative and quantitative studies, X-ray structural qualitative and quantitative analysis and X-ray microanalysis allowed determination of the structure of Fe2B cermets as well as description of the kinetics of quantitative changes in phase proportions in the course of sintering. It has been found that the structure varies widely depending on sintering parameters and the composition of the sinter. Measurements of Fe-Fe2B cermet hardness and measurements of wear during dry friction by the pin-on-disc method have shown distinct advantages of the cermets under investigation as modern constructional materials. The hardness of Fe-Fe2B cermets, depending on their chemical composition and sintering parameters, ranges widely fromHV=150 to 1500, and their resistance to wear is comparable to that of diffusively boronized steels.
- A. Graf von Matuszka, “Borieren” (Carl Manser, München, 1977) pp. 40–41.
- K. H. Habig andH. Kunst,Verein Deutscher Ingnieure Berichte 194 (1973) 221.
- J. Lubikiewicz andJ. Tacikowski,Z. Wirtsch. Fert. 67 (1972) 10.
- L. G. Vorosnin,Chim Term. Obr. Stali i Splawow 6 (1969) 138.
- H. C. Fiedler andR. J. Sieraski,Met. Progr. 99Nr2 (1971) 101.
- W. Fichtl,Härterei-Technische Mitteilungen 29 (1974) 2, pp. 113–119.
- M. Hansen, “Constitution of Binary Alloys”, 2nd Edn (McGraw Hill, Düsseldorf, 1958) p. 25.
- J. Ryś, “Metalografia ilościowa” (Quantitative Metallography) (AGH, Krakow, 1982) pp. 27–31, 50–60.
- J. Nowacki, “Zeszyty Naukowe P. Ł.-Mechanika”, no. 70 (Scientific Publications of the Technical University of Łódź -Mechanics, 1986) p. 114.
- R. Glocker, “Materialprüfung mit Röntgenstrahlen” (Springer, Berlin, 1971) pp. 275–306.
- Structure and properties of Fe-Fe2B cermets
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 27, Issue 13 , pp 3651-3656
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors