Waiting time distributions for closed M/M/N processor sharing queues
- Jens Braband
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We consider a multiple server processor sharing model with a finite number of terminals (customers). Each terminal can submit at most one job for service at any time. The think times of the terminals and the service time demands are independently exponentially distributed. We focus our attention on the exact detailed analysis of the waiting time distribution of a tagged job. We give the Laplace-Stieltjes transform of the waiting time distribution conditioned on the job's service time demand and the state of the other terminals and show that these transforms can be efficiently evaluated and inverted. Further results include the representation of conditioned waiting times as mixtures of a constant and several exponentially distributed components. The numerical precision of our results is being compared with results from a discrete approximation of the waiting time distributions.
- J. Abate and W. Whitt, The Fourier series method for inverting transforms of probability distributions, Queueing Systems 10 (1992) 5–88.
- J. Braband, Wartezeitverteilungen für M/M/N-Processor-Sharing-Modelle, Dissertation, Technische UniversitÄt Braunschweig, Braunschweig (1992), in German, available on request from the author.
- J. Braband and R. Scha\berger, Random quantum allocation: A natural approach to M/M/N processor sharing queues, in:Messung, Modellierung und Bewertung von Rechen- und Kommunikationssystemen, eds. B. Walke and O. Spaniol, (Springer, Berlin, 1993. 7. ITG/GI Fachtagung) pp. 130–142.
- E.G. Coffman, R. Muntz and H. Trotter, Waiting time distributions for processor-sharing systems, J. ACM 17 (1970) 123–130.
- D.K. Faddejew and W.N. Faddejewa,Numerische Methoden der Linearen Algebra (Oldenbourg, München, 1976).
- D.P. Gaver and P.A. Jacobs, Processor-shared time-sharing models in heavy-traffic, SIAM J. Comp. 15 (1986) 1085–1100.
- A.C. Hearn,REDUCE User's Manual Version 3.2 (Rand Pub. CP 78, 1985).
- F.P. Kelly,Reversibility and Stochastic Networks (Wiley, Chichester, 1979).
- L. Kleinrock,Queueing Systems, Vol. 2 (Wiley, New York, 1976).
- C. Knessl, On finite capacity processor shared queues, SIAM J. Appl. Math. 50 (1990) 264–287.
- D. Mitra, Waiting time distributions from closed queueing network models of shared-processor systems, in:Performance '81, ed. F.J. Kylstra, (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1981) pp. 113–131.
- D. Mitra and J.A. Morrisson, Asymptotic expansions of moments of the waiting time in closed and open processor-sharing systems with multiple job-classes, Adv. Appl. Prob. 13 (1983) 813–839.
- J.A. Morrison, Conditioned response-time distribution for a large closed processor-sharing system in very heavy usage, SIAM J. Appl. Math. 47 (1987) 1117–1129.
- J.A. Morrisson, Asymptotic analysis of the waiting time distribution for a large closed processor-sharing system, SIAM J. Appl. Math. 46 (1986) 140–170.
- J.A. Morrisson, Moments of the conditioned waiting time in a large closed processor-sharing system, Stoch. Models 2 (1986) 293–321.
- W.H. Press, B.P. Flannery, S.A. Teukolsky and W.T. Vetterling,Numerical Recipes (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1986).
- K.C. Sevcik and I. Mitrani, The distribution of queueing network states at input and output instants, J. ACM 28 (1981) 358–371.
- S.F. Yashkov, Processor-sharing queues: Some progress in analysis,Queueing Systems 2 (1987) 1–17.
- Waiting time distributions for closed M/M/N processor sharing queues
Volume 19, Issue 3 , pp 331-344
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Processor sharing
- multiple server queues
- central server model
- waiting time distributions
- Laplace transforms
- numerical inversion
- Industry Sectors
- Jens Braband (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Siemens AG, Bereich Verkehrstechnik, Ackerstra\e 22, D-38126, Braunschweig, Germany