Data compression of X-ray cardio-angiographic image series
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Medical x-ray images are increasingly stored and transmitted in a digital format. To reduce the required storage space and transmission bandwidth, data compression can be applied. In this paper we describe a new method for data compression of cardio-angiographie x-ray image series. The method is based on so-called overlappedtransform coding. A comparison with the well-known block-based transform-coding methods JPEG and MPEG is presented. We found that overlapped-transform coding does not introduce any blocking artefacts, in contrast to block-based transform coding, which introduces clearly visible blocking artefacts at compression ratios above 8. Clinical evaluations of the new method have pointed out that the image quality obtained at a compression ratio of 12 is adequate for diagnostic applications.
- Roos P et al. Reversible Intraframe Compression of Medical Images. IEEE Trans Med Imaging 1988; 7(4): 328–336.
- Wallace GK. The JPEG Still Picture Compression Standard. Communications of the ACM 1991; 34(4): 30–44.
- Le Gall D. MPEG: A Video Compression Standard for Multimedia Applications. Communications of the ACM 1991; 34(4): 47–58.
- Loo L-ND, Doi K, Metz CE. Investigation of basic imaging properties in digital radiography. 4. Effect of unsharp masking on the detection of simple patterns. Med. Physics 1985. 12(2): 209–214.
- Jayant NS, Noll P. Digital Coding of Waveforms, Prentice Hall 1984.
- MPEG-2: International Standard ISO/IEC 13818-2, 1995.
- Malvar HS. Lapped Transforms for Efficient Transform/Subband Coding. IEEE Trans. on ASSP 1990; 38(6): 969–978.
- Daubechies I. The Wavelet Transform, Time-Frequency Localization and Signal Analysis. IEEE Trans, on Information Theory 1990; 36(5): 961–1005.
- Woods JW, O'Neil SN. Subband Coding of Images. IEEE Trans, on ASSP 1986; 34(5): 1278–1288.
- Breeuwer M, Heusdens R, Zwart P. Overlapped transform coding of medical x-ray images. Proceedings SPIE Medical Imaging 1994, February 1994, Newport Beach, California, USA.
- Heusdens R, Breeuwer M, Klein Gunnewiek R. Adaptive Quantization in Overlapped Transform Coding of Medical X-ray Images. Proceedings SPIE Medical Imaging 1995, February 1995, San Diego, California, USA.
- Young RW, Kingsbury NG. Video Compression using Lapped Transforms for Motion Estimation and Coding. SPIE Visual Communications and Image Processing '92 1992; 276–288.
- Breeuwer M, Klein Gunnewiek R. Bit-rate control in overlapped transform coding of medical x-ray images. Proceedings SPIE Medical Imaging 1995, February 1995, San Diego, California, USA.
- Data compression of X-ray cardio-angiographic image series
The International Journal of Cardiac Imaging
Volume 11, Issue 3 , pp 179-186
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Philips Research WY82, Prof. Holstlaan 4, 5656, AA Eindhoven, The Netherlands
- 2. Philips Medical Systems, P.O. Box 10.000, 5680, DA Best, The Netherlands
- 3. Philips Multimedia Center, P.O. Box 3409, 94088-3409, Sunnyvale, CA, USA