Dimensions of mental health: Life satisfaction, positive affect, anxiety and depression
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Psychological well-being and psychological distress are often regarded as distinct, if not orthogonal dimensions of mental health. Based on analyses in this paper, we consider the distinction misleading. Four dimensions seem worth measuring in general population surveys: life satisfaction, positive affect, anxiety and depression. Furthermore, one of the well-being dimensions, life satisfaction, is quite strongly correlated with a distress dimension, depression. A person is unlikely to be both satisfied with life and depressed, but may be satisfied and anxious. The paper is based on convergent validity (exploratory and confirmatory factor analyses) and divergent validity assessments of a range of widely used measures, which were included in the Victorian Quality of Life Panel Survey, 1987.
- Andrews, F. M. and Withey, S. B.: 1976, Social Indicators of Well-Being (Plenum, New York).
- Andrews, G., Schonell, M., and Tennant, C.: 1977, ‘The relation between physical, psychological and social morbidity in a suburban community’, American Journal of Epidemiology 105, 323–329.
- Andrews, F. M. and McKennell, A. C.: 1980, ‘Measures of self-reported well-being’, Social Indicators Research 8, 73–90.
- Argyle, M.: 1987, The Psychology of Happiness (Methuen, London).
- Beck, A. T.: 1972, Depression: Causes and Treatment (University of Pennsylvania Press, Philadelphia).
- Beck, A. T., Ward, C. H., Mendelson, M., Mock, J., and Erbaugh, J.: 1961, ‘An inventory for measuring depression’, Archives of General Psychiatry 4, 561–571.
- Block, M. and Zautra, A.: 1981, ‘Satisfaction and distress in a community: a test of the effect of life events’, American Journal of Community Studies 9, 165–180.
- Bradburn, N. W. and Caplovitz, D.: 1965, Reports on Happiness: A Pilot Study of Behaviour Related to Mental Health (Aldine, Chicago).
- Bradburn, N. M.: 1969, The Structure of Psychological Well-Being (Aldine, Chicago).
- Campbell, A., Converse, P. E., and Rodgers, W. R.: 1976, The Quality of American Life (Sage, New York).
- Carmine, E. G. and MacIver, J. P.: 1981, ‘Analysing models with unobserved variables: analysis of covariance structures’, in G. W. Bohrnstedt and E. F. Borgatta (eds) Social Measurement: Current Issues (Sage, Beverly Hills).
- Costa, P. T. and McCrae, R. R.: 1985, The NEO Personality Inventory (PAR Inc., Odessa, Fla).
- Derogatis, L. B., Lipman, R. S., Rickels, K., Uhlunhuth, E. H., and Kovi, L.: 1974, ‘The Hopkins Symptoms Check List (HSCL)’, Behavioural Science 19, 1–15.
- Diener, E.: 1984, ‘Subjective well-being’, Psychological Bulletin 95, 542–575.
- Diener, E. and Emmons, R. A.: 1984, ‘The independence of positive and negative affect’, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 47, 1105–1117.
- Diener, E., Larsen, R. J., Levine, S., and Emmons, R. A.: 1985, ‘Intensity and frequency: dimensions underlying positive and negative affect’, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 48, 1253–1265.
- Diener, E., Emmons, R. A., Larsen, R. J., and Griffin, S.: 1985, ‘The satisfaction with life scale: a measure of life satisfaction’, Journal of Personality Assessment 49, 71–75.
- Dohrenwend, B. P. and Dohrenwend, B. S.: 1969, ‘Etiological leads from epidemiological studies’, in Social Status and Psychological Disorder (Wiley, New York).
- Emmons, R. A. and Diener, E.: 1985, ‘Personality correlates of subjective well-being’, Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin 11, 89–97.
- European Values Survery: 1981–83, Conducted by the European Values Survey Study Group.
- Eysenck, H. J. and Eysenck, S. B. G.: 1964, Manual of the Eysenck Personality Inventory (Stoughton, London).
- Eysenck, H. J. and Eysenck, S. B. G.: 1969, Personality Structure and Measurement (Routledge & Kegan Paul, London).
- Fordyce, M. W.: 1978, ‘Prospectus: The self-description inventory’, Unpublished manuscript, Edison Community College (Fort Myers, Florida).
- Goldberg, D.: 1978, Manual of the General Health Questionnaire (NFER, Windsor).
- Grichting, W. L.: 1983, ‘Domain, scope and degree of happiness’, British Journal of Social Psychology 22, 247–60.
- Headey, B. W., Holmstrom, E. L., and Wearing, A. J.: 1984, ‘Well-being and ill-being: different dimensions?’, Social Indicators Research 14, 115–139.
- Headey, B. W., Glowacki, T., Holmstrom, E. L., and Wearing, A. J.: 1985, ‘Modelling change in perceived quality of life’, Social Indicators Research 17, 267–298.
- Henderson, S., Byrne, D. G., and Duncan-Jones, P.: 1981, Neurosis and the Social Environment (Academic, New York).
- Hoelter, J. W.: 1983, ‘The analysis of covariance structures’, Sociological Methods and Research 11, 325–344.
- Hollingshead, A. and Redlich, F. C.: 1958, Social Class and Mental Illness (Wiley, New York).
- Hunt, S. M. and McEwen, J.: 1980, ‘The development of a subjective health indicator’, Sociology of Health and Illness 24, 281–286.
- Joreskog, K. G. and Sorbom, D.: 1978, LISREL IV: Analysis of Linear Structural Relationships by the Method of Maximum Likelihood (International Educational Services, Chicago).
- Kammann, R., Christie, D., Irwin, R., and Dixon, G.: 1979, ‘Properties of an inventory to measure happiness (and psychological health)’, New Zealand Psychologist 8, 1–9.
- Kessler, R. C. and Greenberg, D. G.: 1981, Linear Panel Analysis (Academic, New York).
- Kish, L.: 1965, Survey Sampling (Wiley, New York).
- Larsen, R. J., Diener, E., and Emmons, R. A.: 1985, ‘An evaluation of subjective well-being measures’, Social Indicators Research 17, 1–18.
- Moos, R. H., Cronkite, R. C., Billings, A. G., and Finney, J. W.: 1984, Health and Daily Living Form (Stanford University, Stanford).
- Schwarz, N. and Clore, G. L.: 1983, ‘Mood, misattribution, and judgments of well-being: informative and directive functions of affective states’, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 45, 513–523.
- Siegert, R. J., McCormick, I. A., Taylor, A. J. W., and Walkey, F. H.: 1987, ‘An examination of reported factor structures of the General Health Questionnaire and the identification of a stable, replicable structure’, Australian Journal of Psychology 39, 89–100.
- Spielberger, C. D.: 1979, Understanding Stress and Anxiety (Nelson, New York).
- Spielberger, C. D., Vagg, P. R., Barker, L. R., Donham, G. W., and Westberry, L. G.: 1980, ‘The factor structure of the state-trait anxiety inventory’, in Advanced Study Institute on Stress and Anxiety in Modern Life, Stress and Anxiety, 7, 95–109.
- Srole, L.: 1962, Mental Health in the Metropolis (McGraw, New York).
- Stones, M. J. and Kozma, A.: 1985, ‘Structural relationships among happiness scales: a second order factorial study’, Social Indicators Research 17, 19–28.
- Strack, F., Schwarz, N., and Gschneidinger, E.: 1985, ‘Happiness and reminiscing: the role of time perspective, affect, and mode of thinking’, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 49, 1460–1469.
- Warr, P. B.: 1978, ‘A study of psychological well-being’, British Journal of Psychology 69, 111–121.
- Warr, P., Barter, J., and Brownbridge, G.: 1983, ‘On the independence of positive and negative affect’, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 44, 644–651.
- Watson, D. and Tellegen, A.: 1985, ‘Toward a consensual structure of mood’, Psychological Bulletin 98, 219–235.
- Watson, D., Clark, L. A., and Tellegen, A.: 1988, ‘Development and validation of brief measures of positive and negative affect: the PANAS scales; Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 54, 1063–1070.
- Watson, D.:, 1988, ‘The vicissitudes of mood measurement: effects of varying descriptors, time frames, and response formats on measures of positive and negative affect’, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 55, 128–141.
- Wessman, A. E. and Ricks, D. F.: 1966, Mood and Personality (Holt, Rinehart & Winston, New York).
- Wing, J. K., Beddington, P., and Robins, L. N. (eds.): 1981, What is a Case? Problems of Definition in Psychiatric Community Surveys (Grant McIntyre, London).
- Zapf, W.: 1987, ‘German social report’, Social Indicators Research 19, Part B.
- Zimmerman, M.: 1986, ‘The stability of the revised Beck Depression Inventory in college students: relationship with life events’, Cognitive Therapy and Research 10, 37–44.
- Dimensions of mental health: Life satisfaction, positive affect, anxiety and depression
Social Indicators Research
Volume 29, Issue 1 , pp 63-82
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors