The growth of diamond in microwave plasma under low pressure
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The synthesis of diamond particles in a low pressure plasma has been studied, with emphasis on the investigation of the substrate effect and the plasma conditions. It was found that a special pre-treatment of silicon substrate made it possible to form dense films, and a thickness of about 15μm could be reached by 20 h discharge. Unfortunately, however, the prepared films had poor adhesion. Observations by scanning electron microscope (SEM) showed that the poor adhesion was due to the fact that the film consisted of large particles with a diameter of about 10μm, and each particle had contacted to the substrate only by a point, not by a face. In addition, the plasma diagnostics of optical and ultraviolet emission spectroscopy (OES, 200–750 nm) revealed that CH and H radicals have come to be criteria for the formation of diamonds, and the ratio of radicals drastically affected the characteristics of the deposits. Nucleation and growth mechanism are also discussed.
- B. V. Spitsyn andB. V. Derjaguin, USSR Inv). Certif. No. 339134 (1956), (in Russian) Official Bulletin of Inventions of USSR, 1980, No 17, p. 323.
- S. Aisenberg andR. Chabot,J. Appl. Phys. 42 (1971) 2953.
- B. V. Spitsyn, L. L. Bouilov andB. V. Derjaguin,J. Crystal Growth 52 (1981) 219.
- S. Matumoto, Y. Sato, M. Kamo andN. Setaka,Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 21 (1982) L183.
- M. Kamo, Y. Sato, S. Matumoto andN. Setaka,J. Crystal Growth 62 (1983) 642.
- S. Matumoto,J. Mater. Sci. Lett. 4 (1985) 600.
- C. Weissmantel,Thin Solid Films 58 (1979) 101.
- L. Holland andS. M. Ojha,ibid. 58 (1979) 107.
- T. Mori andY. Namba,J. vac. Sci. Technol. A 1 (1983) 23.
- M. Kitabatake andK. Wasa,J. Appl. Phys. 58 (1985) 1963.
- M. Balooch andD. R. Olander,J. Chem. Phys. 41 (1964) 2766.
- S. P. Chauhan, J. C. Angus andN. C. Gardner,J. Appl. Phys. 47 (1976) 4746.
- The growth of diamond in microwave plasma under low pressure
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 22, Issue 5 , pp 1557-1562
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors