Kinetics and mechanism of ruthenium tetroxide catalysed oxidation of cyclic alcohols by bromate in a base
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Kinetic investigations on the RuO4-catalysed oxidation of cyclopentanol (Cypol) and cyclohexanol (Cyhol) in alkaline KBrO3 in the presence of Hg(OAc)2 which acts as a bromide ion scavenger have been made in the 30°–45°C range. The reaction exhibits zero order kinetics in OH− and is first order with respect to BrO 3 − , substrate and RuO4. The influence of Hg(OAc)2 and ionic strength is insignificant. A transient complex, formed between HRuO 5 − (the active species of RuO4) and the cyclic alcohol, reacts with BrO 3 − in a slow, rate determining step to give the products; the catalyst is regenerated.
- R. Natarajan and N. Venkatasubramanian:Tetrahedron Lett.,57, 5021 (1969); ibid R. Natarajan and N. Venkatasubramanian,Indian J. Chem.,17A, 257 (1979); ibid R. Natarajan and N. Venkatasubramanian,Intl. J. Chem. Kinet.,8, 205 (1974);Tetrahedron,30, 2785 (1974).
- V. Lakshmi and E. V. Sundaram,J. Indian Chem. Soc.,55, 567 (1978); ibid V. Lakshmi and E. V. Sundaram,Indian J. Chem.,15A, 612 (1977).
- V. Avasthi and A. C. Chatterji;Z. Phys. Chem. (Leipzig),245, 154 (1990).
- S. Anandan and R. Gopalan;J. Indian Chem. Soc.,62, 216 (1985).
- C. S. Reddy and E. V. Sundaram;J. Indian Chem. Soc.,62, 209 (1985).
- B. Singh and S. Srivastava,Oxidation Communications,12, 140 (1989).
- B. Singh and S. Srivastava,J. Indian Chem. Soc.,65, 844 (1988).
- B. Singh and S. Srivastava,React. Kinet. Catal. Lett.,39, 2, 243 (1989).
- I. Vogel,Elementary Practical Organic Chemistry, Longman Green and Co., London, 1958, Part 3.
- N. Venkatasubramanian and V. Thiagarajan,Canad. J. Chem.,47, 694 (1969).
- T. D. Avtokratova,Analytical Chemistry of the Elements, Ruthenium, Ann Arbor-Humphrey Science Pub., Ann Arbor, London, 1969, p. 146.
- Kinetics and mechanism of ruthenium tetroxide catalysed oxidation of cyclic alcohols by bromate in a base
Transition Metal Chemistry
Volume 16, Issue 4 , pp 466-468
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors