On the field aspect of Quantum fields
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper we contrast the idea of a field as a system with an infinite number of degrees of freedom with a recent alternative proposed by Paul Teller in Teller (1990). We show that, although our characterisation lacks the immediate appeal of Teller's, it has more success producing agreement with intuitive categorisations than his does. We go on to extend the distinction to Quantum Mechanics, explaining the important role that it plays there. Finally, we take some time to investigate the way in which strings are to be considered fields, and the important differences with scalar fields. Overall, we aim to show that many types of systems may be viewed as fields, and to point out significant distinctions amongst them, thereby expanding our understanding of what it is to fall in this category.
- Horowitz, G. T., J. Lykken, R. Rohm, and A. Strominger: 1986,A Purely Cubic Action for String Field Theory, NSF-ITP-86-61.
- Kaku, M. and K. Kikkawa: 1974a: ‘Field Theory of Relativistic Strings. I. Trees’,Physical Review D 10, 1110–1133.
- Kaku, M. and K. Kikkawa: 1974b, ‘Field Theory of Relativistic Strings. II. Loops and Pomerons’,Physical Review D 10, 1823–1843.
- Prugovečki: 1971,Quantum Mechanics in Hilbert Space, New York and London, Academic Press.
- Redhead, M.: 1983, ‘Quantum Field Theory for Philosophers’, in P. D. Asquith and T. Nickles (eds.),PSA 1982, vol. 2, East Lansing, Philosophy of Science Association, pp. 57–99.
- Schweber, S. S.: 1961,An Introduction to Relativistic Quantum Field Theory, New York, Harper and Row.
- Teller, P.: 1990, ‘What the Quantum Field is Not’,Philosophical Topics 18, 175–184.
- Thorn, C. B.: 1989, ‘String Field Theory’,Physics Reports 175, 1–101.
- Weingard, R.: 1989, ‘A Philosopher Looks at String Theory’, in A. Fine and J. Leplin (eds.),PSA 1988, vol. 2, East Lansing, Philosophy of Science Association, pp. 95–106.
- Witten, E.: 1986, ‘Non-Commutative Geometry and String Field Theory’,Nuclear Physics B268, 253–294.
- On the field aspect of Quantum fields
Volume 40, Issue 3 , pp 293-301
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links