An erotic attraction to amputees
- Dwight Dixon JD, PhD
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This article reviews what is believed to be the only study ever conducted on a substantial number of persons (therein referred to as “amelotatists”) who have a particular erotic attraction to amputees. That study, conducted in 1976 by researchers identified only as Ampix (an enterprise in the business of selling amputee fantasy materials) was conducted by questionnaires to subscribers with a useable return rate of 62 percent. The sample, all male except for one apparent female, had a mean age of 40, and was typically composed of married Caucasians of above average educational and occupational achievement. Although large proportions of the sample had dated or had had sex with an amputee, only 5 percent had ever married one.
- Dixon D: Amputees AIM at appearing normal.Mainstream June 1980; 22.
- Ampix:The Amelotatist: A Statistical Profile. Lawndale, CA. Author, 1978. (Available from Ampix, Box 864, Lawndale, CA 90260.)
- Krafft-Ebing R:Psychopathia Sexualis. New York, Pioneer Publications, 1939. (Originally published 1886.)
- Stekel W:Sexual Abberations. New York, Horace Liveright, 1930 (Originally published 1923.)
- Confide: The amputee ideal: A quest for incompleteness.Transition Nov/Dec 1978. (Available from Confide, Box 56, Tappan, NY.)
- London LS:Dynamic Psychiatry, Transvestism—Desire for Crippled Women. New York, Corinthian, 1952.
- Money J, Jobaris R, Furth G: Apotemnophilia: Two cases of self-demand amputation as a paraphilia.Journal of Sex Research, 1977; 13(2):115–125.
- Projections of the Population of the United States. 1977 to 2050. Washington, DC, US Dept of Commerce Bureau of Census Series P-25 No 704, July 1977.
- Dictionary of Occupational Titles (Vol II Occupational Classifications, 3rd ed.) Washington, DC, US Dept. of Labor, US Employment Service, 1965.
- Handbook of Labor Statistics—1975 (Ref ed.) Washington, DC, US Dept of Commerce Bureau of Census.
- The Condition of Education, Vol. III, Part I. Washington, DC, US Department Health, Education and Welfare National Center for Education Statistics 1977; Tables 5.01 & 5.02:212.
- Statistical Abstracts of the United States. Washington, DC, US Department of Commerce Bureau of Census 1976; Table 99:69.
- Hunt M:Sexual Behavior in the 1970's. Chicago, Playboy Press, 1974.
- Kinsey AC, Pomeroy WB, Martin CE:Sexual Behavior in the Human Male. Philadelphia, WB Saunders, 1948.
- An erotic attraction to amputees
Sexuality and Disability
Volume 6, Issue 1 , pp 3-19
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. P.O. Box 9902, 92109, San Diego, CA