Dielectric properties and microstructural behaviour of B-site calcium-doped barium titanate ceramics
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Dielectric properties and microstructural behaviour of Ba1−x Sr x Ti1−y Ca y O3−y ceramics, where strontium and calcium were doped on the barium and titanium sites, respectively, within the range 0⩽x⩽0.24 and 0⩽y⩽0.05, were investigated. Calcium addition decreased the tetragonality,c/a, increased the unit cell volume, and lowered the Curie temperature, which were all attributed to the occupancy of Ca2+ ions on titanium sites. When sintered at a low oxygen partial pressure of 10−9 MPa, a resistivity higher than 1011 ω cm was maintained for the formulations containing B-site calcium substitution more than 0.5 mol %. With increasing the amount of calcium addition, the Curie peak was depressed and completely broadened for the compositions with calcium addition more than 3 mol %, where the average grain size was smaller than 1 μm. Co-firing with nickel electrodes in a reducing atmosphere also depressed the Curie peak and inhibited the grain growth due to the diffusion of nickel into the dielectrics.
- H. Takamizawa, K. Utsumi, M. Yonezawa andT. Ohno,IEEE Trans. Comp. Hybrids and Manufact. Technol. CHMT-4 (1983) 355.
- M. Yonezawa,Amer. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 62 (1983) 1375.
- I. Burn andG. H. Maher,J. Mater. Sci. 10 (1975) 633.
- I. Burn,Amer. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 57 (1978) 600.
- Y. Sakabe,ibid. 66 (1987) 1338.
- T. C. Rutt, US Pat. 3 679 950 (1972).
- Y. H. Han, J. B. Appleby andD. M. Smith,J. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 70 (1987) 96.
- Y. Sakabe, K. Minai andK. Wakino,Jpn J. Appl. Phys. 20 (1981) 147.
- S. Shirasaki,Solid State Commun. 19 (1976) 721.
- D. F. Rushman andM. A. Strivens,Trans. Faraday Soc. 42A (1946) 231.
- R. C. de Vries andR. Roy,J. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 38 (1955) 142.
- M. McQuarrie andF. W. Behnke,ibid. 37 (1954) 519.
- T. Mitsui andW. Westphal,Phys. Rev. 124 (1961) 1354.
- Z. Q. Zhuang, M. P. Harmer, D. M. Smith andR. E. Newnham, in “Proceedings of the 6th IEEE International Symposium on Application of Ferroelectrics, Bethlehem”, 1986, edited by D. M. Smith (IEEE, New York, 1986) p. 122.
- W. J. Merz,Phys. Rev. 17 (1950) 52.
- G. Arlt, D. Hennings andG. deWith,J. Appl. Phys. 58 (1985) 1619.
- K. Kioshita andA. Yamaji,ibid. 47 (1976) 37.
- Dielectric properties and microstructural behaviour of B-site calcium-doped barium titanate ceramics
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 27, Issue 21 , pp 5713-5719
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors