Hydrolysis of titanium alkoxide and effects of hydrolytic polycondensation parameters
- Bulent E. Yoldas
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Titanium alkoxides hydrolyse vigorously with water producing polycondensates whose equivalent oxide content varies from ∼ 70% to over 90%. This variation reflects the average molecular size and the nature of the terminal bonds. Hydrolysis conditions also affect the molecular and particle morphologies modifying the crystallization and sintering behaviour of oxide materials derived from polycondensates. It is also possible to form clear polymer solutions under excess water hydrolysis with the addition of certain acids. Investigations show that there is a window in the acid concentration which provides long-term solution stability. The gels formed from these clear solutions shrink in their liquor under certain conditions and the introduction of hydrogen peroxide into the liquor (surrounding the gel) causes vigorous gel shrinkage.
- D. C. Bradley, R. C. Mehrota andD. P. Gaur, “Metal Alkoxides” (Academic Press, New York, 1978).
- Idem, Nature 182 (1958) 1211.
- Idem, in “Progress in Inorganic Chemistry” edited by F. A. Cotton Vol. II (Interscience, New York, London, 1960) p. 303.
- R. L. Martin andG. Winter,J. Chem. Soc. (1961) 2947.
- B. E. Yoldas,J. Non-Cryst. Solids 51 (1982) 105.
- Idem, Material Research Society Symposium Proceedings (Elsevier Science, New York, 1984) Vol. 24, p. 291.
- Idem, J. Non-Cryst. Solids 63 (1984) 145.
- Idem, J. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 65 (8) (1982) 387.
- Idem, J. Mater. Sci. 21 (1986) 1080.
- Idem, J. Non-Cryst. Solids 38/39 (1980) 81.
- E. A. Barringer andH. K. Bowen,J. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 65 (1982) C199.
- B. E. Yoldas,J. Non-Cryst. Solids in press.
- Idem, US Patent 4 346 131 (1982).
- Idem, Appl. Opt. 21 (1982) 2980.
- Hydrolysis of titanium alkoxide and effects of hydrolytic polycondensation parameters
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 21, Issue 3 , pp 1087-1092
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Bulent E. Yoldas (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Westinghouse R and D Center, 15235, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA