Isolation, identification and quantification by X-ray diffraction of carbide phases in 2 1/4Cr-1 Mo steel
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The addition of controlled amounts of phosphorus to 2 1/4Cr-1 Mo steel, heat treated under two different conditions, has produced microstructures containing a wide spectrum of types and amounts of individual carbide phases. X-ray diffraction analysis of carbide precipitates has been undertaken following quantitative extraction by anodic dissolution of the matrix. By combining this with selective chemical dissolution of certain carbide types, calibrations of relative weight fractions against the intensities of suitable X-ray diffraction peaks may be obtained without the need for the addition of a standard calibration powder. This has allowed the determination of the absolute amounts, within a given steel sample, of the carbide types M6C, M7C3, M23C6 and, most importantly, the creep-strengthening M2X phase.
- R. A. Stevens andP. E. J. Flewitt, CEGB Report No. SER/SSD/85/0020/R,Acta Metall. to be published.
- R. L. Klueh,J. Nucl. Mater. 68 (1977) 294.
- Idem, Mater. Sci. Eng. 35 (1978) 239.
- Idem, Met. Trans. 9A (1978) 1597.
- K. J. Irvine, J. D. Murray andF. B. Pickering, ISI Special Report No. 70 (Iron and Steel Institute, London, 1961) pp. 246–75.
- J. M. Leitnaker, R. L. Klueh andW. R. Laing,Met. Trans. 6A (1975) 1949.
- R. L. Klueh andJ. M. Leitnaker,ibid. 6A (1975) 2089.
- Jin Yu andC. J. McMahon,ibid. 11A (1980) 277.
- H. P. Klug andL. E. Alexander, “X-ray Diffraction for Polycrystalline and Amorphous Materials” (Wiley, New York, 1974).
- J. K. L. Lai andI. F. Galbraith,J. Mater. Sci. 15 (1980) 1297.
- K. W. Andrews, D. J. Dyson andS. R. Keown, “Interpretation of Electron Diffraction Patterns” (Adam Hilger, London, 1971) p. 203.
- K. W. Andrews andH. Hughes,J. Iron Steel Inst. 193 (1959) 304.
- R. G. Baker andJ. Nutting,ibid. 192 (1959) 257.
- C. A. Hippsley,Met. Sci. 15 (1981) 137.
- Isolation, identification and quantification by X-ray diffraction of carbide phases in 2 1/4Cr-1 Mo steel
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 20, Issue 10 , pp 3631-3638
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors