Job generation and new and small firms: Some evidence from the late 1980s
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper adopts a components of employment change methodology and examines the process of job generation in the late 1980s for three contrasting regions of the United Kingdom. The emphasis in the analysis is on the contribution of new and small firms to regional manufacturing employment growth. The results indicate the important role of new and small indigenous firms in the job generation process, particularly in Northern Ireland, in the period 1986–90. However, the level of displacement associated with these job creations is sufficiently high to cause concern about the longterm sustainability of these trends. The paper concludes by arguing that policies designed to stimulate new firm formation and small firm growth are not in themselves sufficient to promote growth.
- Daly, M., M. Campbell, G. Robson and C. Gallagher, 1992, ‘Job Creation 1987–89: Preliminary Analysis by Sector’,Employment Gazette, August 1992, 387–392.
- Gudgin, G., M. Hart, J. Fagg, E. D'Arcy and R. Keegan, 1989,Job Generation in Manufacturing Industry, 1973–86: a Comparison of Northern Ireland with the Republic of Ireland and the English Midlands. Belfast: Northern Ireland Economic Research Centre (NIERC).
- Hart, M., 1993, ‘The Labour Market Impact of New and Small Firms in Northern Ireland’, in P. Teague (ed.),The Economy of Northern Ireland: Perspectives for Structural Change, London: Lawrence and Wishart.
- Hart, M., R. Scott, G. Gudgin and R. Keegan, 1993,Job Creation and Small Firms: An Economic Evaluation of Job Creation in Small Firms assisted by the Northern Ireland Local Enterprise Development Unit (LEDU), Belfast: NIERC.
- Hitchens, D. M. W. N. and P. N. O'Farrell, 1987, ‘The Comparative Performance of Small Manufacturing Firms in Northern Ireland and South East England’,Regional Studies 21(6), 547–553.
- Hitchens, D. M. W. N. and P. N. O'Farrell, 1988a, ‘The Comparative Performance of Small Manufacturing Companies in South Wales and Northern Ireland: An Analysis of Matched Pairs,’Omega International Journal of Management Science 16(5), 429–438.
- Hitchens, D. M. W. N. and P. N. O'Farrell, 1988b, ‘The Comparative Performance of Small Manufacturing Companies in the Mid-West and Northern Ireland’,Economic and Social Review 19(3), 177–198.
- NIERC, 1990,The Northern Ireland Economy: Review and Forecasts to 1995, Belfast: NIERC.
- NIERC, 1992,Regional Economic Outlook: Analysis and Forecasts for the Standard Planning Regions of the UK, Belfast: NIERC/Oxford Economic Forecasting.
- Roper, S., 1993,Manufacturing Profitability in Northern Ireland, Belfast: NIERC.
- Storey, D. J. and S. Johnson, 1987,Job Generation and Labour Market Change, London: Macmillan.
- Storey, D. J. and S. Johnson, 1990, ‘A Review of Small Business Data Bases in the UK’,Small Business Economics 2(4), 279–299.
- Storey, D. J., 1993, ‘The Growth of Small Firms’, Paper presented at an international seminar on Small Business and Local Development in Parma, Italy on 28–30 September.
- Job generation and new and small firms: Some evidence from the late 1980s
Small Business Economics
Volume 7, Issue 2 , pp 97-109
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Job generation
- new and small firms
- Northern Ireland
- Industry Sectors