Fracture surface roughness as a gauge of fracture toughness: Aluminium-particulate SiC composites
- D. L. Davidson
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Fracture toughnesses of several composites of aluminium alloys reinforced with particulate SiC have been measured. The variables were particulate size and volume fraction, and matrix alloy composition and heat treatment. Fracture surface profiles were measured and related to fractal dimension using the techniques of quantitative metallography. The fracture surface roughness was described well by fractals, but fracture toughness did not correlate with any measure of fracture surface roughness. An explanation for this behaviour is offered.
- E. E. Underwood andK. Banerji, “Metals Handbook”, Vol. 12 (ASM International, Metals Park, Ohio, 1987) pp. 193–210.
- B. B. Mandelbrot, D. E. Passoja andA. J. Paullay,Nature 308 (1984) 721.
- E. E. Underwood andK. Banerji,Mater. Sci. Engng 80 (1986) 1.
- Idem, “Metals Handbook”, Vol. 12 (ASM International, Metals Park, Ohio, 1987) pp. 211–215.
- C. S. Pande, L. R. Richards andS. Smith,J. Mater. Sci. Lett. 6 (1987) 295.
- D. L. Davidson,Metall. Trans. A. 18A (1987) 2115–2128.
- Idem, Engng Fract. Mech. 25 (1986) 123.
- Fracture surface roughness as a gauge of fracture toughness: Aluminium-particulate SiC composites
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 24, Issue 2 , pp 681-687
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- D. L. Davidson (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Southwest Research Institute, 6220 Culebra Road, 78284, San Antonio, Texas, USA