Thermal expansion of the cubic (3C) polytype of SiC
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Thermal expansion of the cubic beta or (3C) polytype of SiC was measured from 20 to 1000° C by the X-ray diffraction technique. Over that temperature range, the coefficient of thermal expansion can be expressed as the second order polynominal: α11=3.19×10−6+ 3.60×10−9 T−1.68×10−12 T 2 (1/° C). It increases continuously from about 3.2×10−6/° C at room temperature to 5.1×10−6/° C at 1000° C, with an average value of 4.45 × 10−6/° C between room temperature and 1000° C. This trend is compared with other published results and is discussed in terms of structural contributions to the thermal expansion.
- K. Becker,Z. Physik 40 (1926) 37.
- T. A. Taylor andR. M. Jones, in “Silicon Carbide, a High-Temperature Semiconductor” edited by J. R. O'Connor and J. Smiltens (Pergamon, Oxford, 1960) p. 147.
- P. Popper andI. Mohyuddin, in “Special Ceramics 1964” edited by P. Popper (Academic Press, London, 1965) p. 45.
- D. Clark andD. Knight, Royal Aircraft Establishment, Technical Report RAE-TR-65049, [AD464397] (1965).
- E. L. Kern, D. W. Hamill, H. W. Deem andH. D. Sheets,Mater. Res. Bull. 4 (1969) S25.
- R. J. Price,Bull. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 48 (1969) 859.
- H. Suzuki, T. Iseki andM. Ito,J. Nucl. Mater. 48 (1973) 247.
- Y. S. Touloukian (ed), in “Thermophysical Properties of Matter” Vol. 13, (IFI/Plenum, New York, 1970) p. 874.
- Powder Diffraction File, Card No. 29-1129 (JCPDS, International Center for Diffraction Data, Swarthmore, Pennyslvania, USA).
- J. Intrater andS. Hurwitt,Rev. Sci. Instr. 32 (1961) 905.
- W. J. Campbell andC. Grain, U.S. Bureau of Mines, Report Investigation No. 5757 (1961).
- Z. Li, MSc Thesis in Ceramic Engineering, University of Washington, 1986.
- R. A. Fisher (ed), in “Statistical Methods for Research Workers” 13th edn. (Hafner, New York, 1958) p. 176.
- F. L. Yaggee andF. G. Foote, Technical Report Argonne National Laboratory-7644 (1969).
- D. Taylor,Trans. Brit. Ceram. Soc. 83 (1984) 5.
- R. M. Hazen andL. M. Finger, “Comparative Crystal Chemistry” (Wiley-Interscience, New York, 1984) p. 115.
- H. D. Megaw,Mater. Res. Bull. 6 (1971) 1071.
- Thermal expansion of the cubic (3C) polytype of SiC
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 21, Issue 12 , pp 4366-4368
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors