Synaptic fine structure and nuclear, cytoplasmic and extracellular networks
- E. G. Gray
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
When certain intracellular and extracellular localities known to be rich in protein complexes are fixed and processed for electron microscopy, they show a reticulate precipitate which represents a three-dimensional framework of material that forms the walls of polygonal lacunae. This is referred to as astereoframework. Examples of a stereoframework described here include the presynaptic dense projections, cleft substance, postsynaptic density, the cytonet, coats of coated vesicles, reticulosomes, ‘microfilamentous'’ network of growth cones, the glycocalyx of gut microvilli, blood plasma, precipitates of the Golgi apparatus, the chromatin of nuclei and the nuclear pore complex. The stereoframework appears most electron-dense when it has a very close mesh, e.g. as in the case of the dense projections. The stereoframework is assumed to have no direct relationship with the molecular architecture of the protein complexesin vivo and so can be regarded as a denaturization and precipitation artifact. This being so, attempts to elucidate the substructure of the above entities simply by inspection are fruitless. Furthermore, evidence is given that stereoframework precipitation can distort or completely obliterate organelles occupying the same locality, for example this could apply to structures such as actin filaments (perhaps running into the locality marked by a dense projection), microtubules (running into the presynaptic bag), smooth ER, tenuous connections between synaptic vesicles and the presynaptic membrane, structures within the nuclear pore complex and chromosome substructures in the nucleus. Finally it is suggested that the flat shape of synaptic vesicles (at inhibitory synapses) may be a distortion effect imposed upon the synaptic vesicles not as a result of osmotic effects, but as a conformation to the shape of a stereoframework which has been precipitated from protein complexes in the vicinity of the synaptic vesicles.
- Aaronson, R. P. andBlobel, G. (1974) Isolation of the nuclear pore complex in association with a lamina.Journal of Cell Biology 63, 1. (abstract).
- Akert, K., Moor, H., Pfenninger, K. andSandri, C. (1969) Contributions of new impregnation methods and freeze etching to the problem of synaptic fine structure.Progress in Brain Research 31, 223–40.
- Akert, K., Pfenninger, K., Sandri, C. andMoor, H. (1972) Freeze etching and cytochemistry of vesicles and membrane complexes in synapses of the central nervous system. InStructure and Function of Synapses (Eds.G. D. Pappas andD. P. Purpura) pp. 386. Amsterdam. North Holland Publishing Co.
- Bennett, H. S. (1963) Morphological aspects of extracellular polysaccharides.Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry 11, 14–23.
- Berl, S., Puszkin, S. andNicklas, W. J. (1973) Actomyosin-like protein in brain.Science 179, 441–6.
- Bloom, F. E. andAghajanian, G. K. (1966) Cytochemistry of synapses: selective staining for electron microscopy.Science 154, 1575–77.
- Bray, D. (1973) Model for membrane movements in the neural growth cone.Nature, (London)244, 93–6.
- Bray, D. (1974) The fibrillar proteins of nerve cells.Endeavour 33, 131–6.
- Bray, D. andBunge, M. B. (1973) The growth cone in neurite extension. InLocomotion of Tissue Cells Ciba Foundation Symposium, 14, pp. 196–209. Amsterdam: Elsevier.
- Chan-Palay, V. (1972) The tripartite structure of the undercoat of initial segments of Purkinje cell axons.Zeitschrift für Anatomie und Entwicklungsgeschichte 139, 1–10.
- Franke, W. W. (1970) On the universality of the nuclear pore complex structure.Zeitschrift zür Zellforschung und mikroskopische Anatomie 105, 405–29.
- Gray, E. G. (1959) Axosomatic and axodendritic synapses of the cerebral cortex: an electron microscope study.Journal of Anatomy (London)93, 420–33.
- Gray, E. G. (1961) The granule cells, mossy synapses and Purkinje spine synapses of the cerebellum: light and electron microscope observations.Journal of Anatomy (London)95, 345–56.
- Gray, E. G. (1963) Electron microscopy of presynaptic organelles of the spinal cord.Journal of Anatomy (London) 97, 101–6.
- Gray, E. G. (1966) Problems of interpreting the fine structure of vertebrate and invertebrate synapses.International Review of General and Experimental Zoology 2, 139–70.
- Gray, E. G. (1969) Round and flat vesicles in the fish central nervous system. InCellular Dynamics of the Neuron (Ed.S. H. Barondes) Symposium of the International Society for Cell Biology8, 211–27.
- Gray, E. G. (1972) Are the coats of coated vesicles artifacts?Journal of Neurocytology 1, 363–82.
- Gray, E. G. (1973) The cytonet, plain and coated vesicles, reticulosomes, multivesicular bodies and nuclear pores.Brain Research 62, 392–435.
- Gray, E. G. andGuillery, R. W. (1966) Synaptic morphology in the normal and degenerating nervous system.International Review of Cytology 19, 111–82.
- Gray, E. G. andWillis, R. A. (1968) Problems of electron stereoscopy of biological tissues.Journal of Cell Science 3, 309–26.
- Gray, E. G. andWillis, R. A. (1970) On synaptic vesicles, complex vesicles and dense projections.Brain Research 24, 149–68.
- Kadota, T.,Kadota, K. andGray, E. G. (1975) Coated vesicle shells, particle-chain material and tubulin in brain synaptosomes: an electron microscopic and biochemical study.Journal of Cell Biology, in press.
- Kanaseki, T. andKadota, K. (1969) The vesicle in a basket.Journal of Cell Biology 42, 202–20.
- Korneliussen, H. (1972) Elongated profiles of synaptic vesicles in motor end plates. Morphological effects of fixative variations.Journal of Neurocytology 1, 279–96.
- Marchesi, V. T., Steers, E., Tillack, T. W. andMarchesi, S. L. (1969) Some properties of spectrin inThe Red Cell Membrane (Eds.G. A. Jamieson andJ. J. Greenwalt) pp. 117–30. Philadelphia: Lippencott.
- Metuzals, J. andMushynski, W. E. (1974) Electron microscope and experimental investigations of the neurofilamentous network in Deiters' neurons.Journal of Cell Biology 61, 701–22.
- Nicholson, G. L., Marchesi, V. T. andSinger, S. J. (1971) Localisation of spectrin on the inner surface of human red blood cell membranes by ferritin-conjugated antibodies.Journal of Cell Biology 51, 265–72.
- Paula-Barbosa, M. andGray, E. G. (1974) The effects of various fixatives at different pH on synaptic coated vesicles and cytonet.Journal of Neurocytology 3, 471–86.
- Pfenninger, K., Sandri, C., Akert, K. andEugster, C. H. (1969) Contributions to the problem of structural organisation of the presynaptic area.Brain Research 12, 10–18.
- Pfenninger, K., Akert, K., Moor, H. andSandri, C. (1971) Freeze-fracturing of presynaptic membranes of the central nervous system.Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series B 261, 387.
- Pfenninger, K., Akert, K., Moor, H. andSandri, C. (1972) The fine structure of freeze-fractured synaptic membranes.Journal of Neurocytology 1, 129–49.
- Pfenninger, K. andRovainen, C. M. (1974) Stimulation- and calcium-dependence of vesicle attachment sites in the presynaptic membrane: a freeze-cleave study of the lamprey spinal cord.Brain Research 72, 1–23.
- Pollard, T. D. andWeihung, R. R. (1974) Actin and myosin and cell movement.CRC Critical Reviews of Biochemistry 2, 1–65.
- Schmitt, F. O. andSamson, F. E. (1968) Neuronal fibrous proteins.Neurosciences Research Programme Bulletin 6, 113–219.
- Smith, D. S., Järlfors, U. andBeránek, R. (1970) The organisation of synaptic axoplasm in the lamprey (Petromyzon marinus) central nervous system.Journal of Cell Biology 46, 199–219.
- Tennyson, V. M. (1970) The fine structure of the axon and growth cone of the dorsal root neuroblast of the rabbit embryo.Journal of Cell Biology 44, 62–79.
- Uchizono, K. (1965) Characteristics of excitatory and inhibitory synapses in the central nervous system of the cat.Nature (London)207, 642–43.
- Wischnitzer, S. (1974) The nuclear envelope: its ultrastructure and functional significance.Endeavour 33, 137–42.
- Yamada, K. M., Spooner, B. S. andWessels, N. K. (1971) Ultrastructure and function of growth cones and axons of cultured nerve cells.Journal of Cell Biology 49, 614–35.
- Yasuzumi, G. andTsubo, I. (1966) The fine structure of nuclei as revealed by electron microscopy.Experimental Cell Research 43, 281–92.
- Synaptic fine structure and nuclear, cytoplasmic and extracellular networks
Journal of Neurocytology
Volume 4, Issue 3 , pp 315-339
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- E. G. Gray (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Anatomy, University College, London