On the intuitive understanding of nonlocality as implied by quantum theory
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We bring out the fact that the essential new quality implied by the quantum theory is nonlocality; i.e., that a system cannot be analyzed into parts whose basic properties do not depend on the state of the whole system. This is done in terms of the causal interpretation of the quantum theory, proposed by one of us (D.B.) in 2952, involving the introduction of the “quantum potential.” We show that this approach implies a new universal type of description, in which the standard or canonical form is always supersystem-system-subsystem; and this leads to the radically new notion of unbroken wholeness of the entire universe. Finally, we discuss some of the implications of extending these notions to the relativity domain, and in so doing, we indicate a novel concept of time, in terms of which relativity and quantum theory may eventually be brought together.
- A. Einstein, B. Podolsky, and N. Rosen,Phys. Rev. 47, 777 (1935).
- E. Schrödinger,Proc. Camb. Phil. Soc. 31, 555 (1935).
- J. S. Bell,Physics 1, 195 (1964).
- S. J. Freedman and J. F. Clauser,Phys. Rev. Lett. 28, 938 (1972).
- N. Bohr,Atomic Theory and the Description of Nature (Cambridge University Press, 1934);Atomic Physics and Human Knowledge (Wiley, New York, 1958).
- J. M. Jauch and C. Piron,Helv. Phys. Acta 42, 842 (1969).
- D. Finkelstein,Phys. Rev. 184, 1261 (1969).
- D. Bohm,Phys. Rev. 85, 166, 180 (1952).
- D. Bohm and J.-P. Vigier,Phys. Rev. 96, 208 (1954).
- F. W. Vinen,Rep. Progr. Phys. 31, 61 (1968); see also H. A. Mook, R. Scherm, and M. K. Wilkinson,Phys. Rev. A 6, 2268 (1972).
- D. Bohm,Found. Phys. 1, 359 (1971);Found. Phys. 3, 139 (1973).
- D. Bohm, B. J. Hiley, and A. E. G. Stuart,Int. J. Theoret. Phys. 3, 171 (1970).
- On the intuitive understanding of nonlocality as implied by quantum theory
Foundations of Physics
Volume 5, Issue 1 , pp 93-109
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors