The degeneration of unmyelinated axons following nerve section: An ultrastructural study
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Observations have been made on the ultrastructural changes that occur in the cervical and abdominal portions of the rabbit vagus nerve following transection. The axonal changes are similar to those that occur during the degeneration of myelinated axons and all axons degenerate completely within 7 days. This time course correlates closely with previous electrophysiological observations. The degeneration of the axons takes place external to the Schwann cells, but these cells tend to react by surrounding the degenerating axons with multiple flattened processes. This debris is removed both by Schwann cells and macrophages. Most of the degenerate material has disappeared by 15 days after transection. Compact columns of Schwann cells analogous to the bands of Büngner are not formed.
- Abercrombie, M., Evans, D. H. L. andMurray, J. G. (1959) Nuclear multiplication and cell migration in degenerating unmyelinated nerve fibres.Journal of Anatomy (London) 93, 9–14.
- Aguayo, A. J., Peyronnard, J. M. andBray, G. M. (1973) A quantitative ultrastructural study of regeneration from isolated proximal stumps of transected unmyelinated nerves.Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology 32, 256–70.
- Allt, G. (1972) Involvement of the perineurium in experimental allergic neuritis: electron microscope observations.Acta Neuropathologica (Berlin) 20, 139–49.
- Ballin, R. H. M. andThomas, P. K. (1969) Changes at the nodes of Ranvier during Wallerian degeneration: an electron microscope study.Acta Neuropathologica (Berlin) 14, 237–49.
- Berger, B. (1971) Etude ultrastructurale de la dégénérescence Wallérienne experimentale d'un nerf entiérement amyélinique; le nerf olfactif. I. Modifications axonales.Journal of Ultrastructure Research 37, 105–18.
- Bray, G. M., Peyronnard, J.-M. andAguayo, A. J. (1972) Reactions of unmyelinated nerve fibres to injury. An ultrastructural study.Brain Research 42, 297–309.
- Cajal, S. R. (1928)Degeneration and Regeneration of the Nervous System (English Edition). London: Oxford University Press.
- Calabretta, A. M., Munger, B. L. andGraham, W. P. (1973) The ultrastructure of degenerating rat sciatic nerves.Journal of Surgical Research 14, 465–71.
- Cragg, B. G. (1965) Failure of conduction and of synaptic transmission in degenerating mammalian C fibres.Journal of Physiology (London) 179, 95–112.
- Dyck, P. J. andHopkins, A. P. (1972) Electron microscope observations on degeneration and regeneration of unmyelinated fibres.Brain 95, 223–34.
- Evans, D. H. L. andMurray, J. G. (1954) Histological and functional studies on the fibre composition of the vagus nerve in the rabbit.Journal of Anatomy (London) 88, 320–37.
- Fisher, E. R. andTurano, A. (1963) Schwann cells in Wallerian degeneration.Archives of Pathology (Chicago) 75, 517–27.
- Friede, R. L. (1964) Electrophoretic production of ‘reactive’ axon swellingsin vitro and their histochemical properties.Acta Neuropathologica (Berlin) 3, 217–28.
- Friede, R. L. andMartinez, A. J. (1970) Analysis of axon sheath relations during early Wallerian degeneration.Brain Research 19, 199–212.
- Gamble, H. J. andJha, B. D. (1958) Some effects of temperature upon the rate and progress of Wallerian degeneration in mammalian nerve fibres.Journal of Anatomy (London) 92, 171–77.
- Gilliatt, R. W. andHjorth, R. J. (1972) Nerve conduction during Wallerian degeneration in the baboon.Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry 35, 335–41.
- Honjin, R., Nakamura, T. andImura, M. (1959) Electron microscopy of peripheral nerve fibres. III. On the axoplasmic changes during Wallerian degeneration.Okajimas Folia Anatomicajaponica,33, 131–56.
- Hunt, C. C. andNelson, P. G. (1965) Structural and functional changes in the frog sympathetic ganglion following cutting of the presynaptic nerve fibres.Journal of Physiology (London) 177, 1–20.
- Iwayama, T. (1970) Ultrastructural changes in the nerves innervating the cerebral artery after sympathectomy.Zeitschrift für Zellforschung und mikroskopische Anatomie 109, 465–80.
- Joseph, J. (1950) Further studies in changes of nuclear population in degenerating non-myelinated and finely myelinated nerves.Acta Anatomica 9, 279–88.
- Kapeller, K. andMayor, D. (1969) An electron microscope study of the early changes distal to a constriction in sympathetic nerve.Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B 172, 53–63.
- Karnovsky, M. J. (1965) A formaldehyde-glutaraldehyde fixative of high osmolality for use in electron microscopy.Journal of Cell Biology 27, 137A.
- King, R. H. M. andThomas, P. K. (1971) Electron microscope observations on aberrant regeneration of unmyelinated axons in the vagus nerve of the rabbit.Acta Neuropathologica (Berlin) 18, 150–59.
- Lampert, P. W. andSchochet, S. S. (1968) Demyelination and remyelination in lead neuropathy.Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology 27, 527–45.
- Lee, J. C.-Y. (1963) Electron microscopy of Wallerian degeneration.Journal of Comparative Neurology 120, 65–79.
- Matthews, M. R. (1973) An ultrastructural study of axonal changes following constriction of postganglionic branches of the superior cervical ganglion in the rat.Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, B 264, 479–508.
- Miledi, R. andSlater, C. R. (1970) On the degeneration of rat neuromuscular junctions after nerve section.Journal of Physiology (London) 207, 507–28.
- Mire, J. J., Hendelman, W. J. andBunge, R. P. (1970) Observations on a transient phase of focal swelling in degenerating unmyelinated nerve fibres.Journal of Cell Biology 45, 9–22.
- Nathaniel, E. J. H. andPease, D. C. (1963) Degenerative changes in rat dorsal roots during Wallerian degeneration.Journal of Ultrastructure Research 9, 511–32.
- Ochoa, J. andMair, W. G. P. (1969) The normal sural nerve in man. II. Changes in the axons and Schwann cells due to ageing.Acta Neuropathologica (Berlin) 13, 217–39.
- Ochoa, J. andVial, J. D. (1967) Behaviour of peripheral nerve structures in chronic neuropathies, with special reference to the Schwann cell.Journal of Anatomy 102, 95–111.
- Roth, C. D. andRichardson, K. C. (1969) Electron microscopical studies on axonal degeneration in the rat iris following ganglionectomy.American Journal of Anatomy 124, 341–59.
- Singer, M. andSteinberg, M. C. (1972) Wallerian degeneration: a reevaluation based on transected and colchicine-poisoned nerves in the amphibian,Triturus.American Journal of Anatomy 133, 51–84.
- Taxi, J. (1959) Etude au microscope électronique de la dégénérescence Wallérienne des fibres amyéliniques.Comptes Rendus de l' Académie des Sciences, Paris 248, 135–45.
- Taxi, J. (1971) Personal communication.
- Thomas, P. K., King, R. H. M. andPhelps, A. C. (1972) Electron microscope observations on the degeneration of unmyelinated fibres following nerve section.Journal of Anatomy 113, 277–78.
- Tuckett, I. L. (1896) On the structure and degeneration of non-medullated nerve fibres.Journal of Physiology (London) 19, 267–311.
- Vial, J. D. (1958) The early changes in the axon during Wallerian degeneration.Journal of Biochemical and Biophysical Cytology 4, 551–56.
- Webster, H. De F. (1962) Transient, focal accumulation of axonal mitochondria during the early stages of Wallerian degeneration.Journal of Cell Biology 12, 361–83.
- Zelená, J., Lubinska, L. andGutmann, E. (1968) Accumulation of organelles at ends of interrupted axons.Zeitschrift für Zellforschung und mikroskopische Anatomie 91, 200–19.
- The degeneration of unmyelinated axons following nerve section: An ultrastructural study
Journal of Neurocytology
Volume 3, Issue 4 , pp 497-512
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links