The adverse impacts of local historic designation: The case of small apartment buildings in Philadelphia
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper examines the sales effects of local historic preservation. Using the hedonic framework our study shows that small historic apartment buildings experienced a 24% reduction in price compared to nonlocally certified properties. Our variable for federal historic districts, however, produced statistically insignificant results. The results suggest that historic control (as practiced in Philadelphia) is confiscatory. The study illustrates an outcome of public regulation that impinges on private property rights.
- Asabere, P.K., G. Hachey, and S. Grubaugh. (1989). “Architecture, Historic Zoning, and the Value of Homes,”Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics 2, 181–195.
- Asabere, P.K., and F.E. Huffman. (1991). “Historic Districts and Land Values,”The Journal of Real Estate Research 6:1 (Spring).
- Benson, V.O., and R. Klein. (1988). “The Impact of Historic Districting on Property Values,”Appraisal Journal (April), 223–232.
- Berk, K.N. (1977). “Tolerance and Condition in Regression Computations,”Journal of American Statistical Association 72, 863–866.
- Box, G., and D. Cox. (1964). “An Analysis of Transformations,”Journal of the American Statistical Association Series B, 26, 211–243.
- Box, G., and P.W. Tidwell. (1962). “Transformations of the Independent Variables,”Technometrics 531–550.
- Ford, D.A. (1989). “The Effect of Historic District Designation on Single-Family Home Prices,”AREUEA Journal 17:3 (Fall), 353–362.
- Kennedy, P.E. (1984). “Estimation with Correctly Interpreted Dummy Variables in Semilogarithmic Equations,”American Economic Review.
- White, H. (1980). “A Heteroscedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix and a Direct Test for Heteroscedasticity,”Econometrica 48, 817–838.
- Lockard, W.E., and S.D. Hines. (1983). “Historic Zoning Considerations in Neighborhood and District Analysis,”Appraisal Journal (October), 485–497.
- National Trust for Historic Preservation. (1983). Information Sheet No. 35. Washington, D.C.: National Trust for Historical Preservation.
- National Park Service. (1991). U.S. Department of Interior, Washington, D.C.,Tax Incentives for Rehabilitating Historic Buildings: Fiscal Year 1990 Analysis February.
- Philadelphia City Planning Commission. (1986).Analysis of Preservation Techniques for Center City Philadelphia October 30.
- Pindyck, R.S., and D.L. Rubinfeld. (1981).Econometric Models and Economic Forecasts, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York.
- Schaeffer, P.V., and C.P. Ahem. (1988). “The Impact of Historic District Designation on Property Values: An Empirical Study,” Unpublished paper, University of Colorado at Denver, December.
- The adverse impacts of local historic designation: The case of small apartment buildings in Philadelphia
The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics
Volume 8, Issue 3 , pp 225-234
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- adverse impacts
- local designation
- historic preservation
- public choice
- Industry Sectors