Fibre constituents of some foods
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Some plant foods viz. bottlegourd, carrot, cauliflower, cabbage, green bengalgram, pea, apple, plum, guava, karonda, blackgram husk and lentil husk were analysed for their dietary fibre components. The total dietary fibre contents of these foods varied from 14.68 to 78.21 percent on dry matter basis. As compared to fruits and vegetables, the husks had higher amount of total dietary fibre. Cellulose represented as the major fibre constituent in most of the foods whereas, husks were observed to be good sources of hemicellulose. All foods were low in pectin and lignin contents except guava.
- Trowell H, Burkitt D (1985) Definitions of dietary fibre and fibre-depleted foods. In: Trowell H, Burkitt D, Heaton K (eds), Dietary fibre, fibre-depleted foods and disease. London: Academic Press, p. 27.
- Kochar GK, Sharma KK (1982) Composition of dietary fibre of some common Indian foods. Proc Nutr Soc 27: 82.
- Van Soest PJ, Wines RH (1967) Use of detergents in the analysis of fibrous foods: Determination of plant cell wall constituents. J Assoc Agric Chem 50: 50–55.
- Hellendoorn EW, Noordhott MG, Slofman J (1975) Enzymatic determination of the indigestible residue (dietary fibre) content of human food. J Sci Food Agric 26: 1461.
- Arora SK (1981) Analytical techniques for quality evaluation. Forage Res 7A: 197–213.
- Ranganna S (1977) Manual of analysis of fruits and vegetable products. New Delhi: Tata McGraw Hill Publishing Co.
- McConnell AA, Eastwood MA, Mitchell WD (1974) Physical characteristics of vegetable food stuffs that could influence bowel function. J Sci Food Agric 25: 1457.
- Schweizer TF, Bekhechi AK, Keellrenther B, Diemanins, Pomettor D, Bron BA (1983) Metabolic effects of dietary fibre from dehulled soybeans in humans. Am J Clin Nutr 38: 1–11.
- Van Soest PJ (1976) Fibre composition of some foodstuffs. Am J Clin Nutr 31: 5281–5284.
- Hayati R (1987) Studies on the preservation of pulp from guava (Psidium quajava, L.). MSc Thesis, Haryana Agricultural University, Hisar, India.
- Fibre constituents of some foods
Plant Foods for Human Nutrition
Volume 45, Issue 4 , pp 343-347
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Dietary fibre
- Plant foods
- Industry Sectors