Problems of foreign born psychiatrists
- Yoosuf A. Haveliwala M.D.
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper describes problems incurred by those psychiatrists practicing in the United States who were born outside of the United States of America. It describes issues related to practice, politics, and understanding of a culture alien to them. It also focuses on some of the advantages of being a foreigner in the field.
In conclusion, the paper recommends specific training to be incorporated in residency programs to address issues identified by the author.
- Vispo RH: Critique of alternative models.Psychiatr Q 47:139–143, 1973.
- Lin T: Psychiatric training for foreign medical graduates: A symposium. I. Introduction.Psychiatry 34:233–234, 1971.
- Jilek-Aall L: The western psychiatrist and his non-western clientele.Can Psychiat Assoc J 12:353–359, 1976.
- Knoff HF, Oken D, Prevost JR: Meeting training needs of foreign psychiatric residents in state hospitals.Hosp Commun Psychiat 27:35–37, 1976.
- Kim HA: Transplantation of psychiatrists from foreign cultures.J Am Acad Psychoanal 4:104–112, 1976.
- Problems of foreign born psychiatrists
Volume 51, Issue 4 , pp 307-311
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links