Vortex stripping and the generation of high vorticity gradients in two-dimensional flows
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We study the stripping of vortices with monotonic vorticity profiles within adverse shear. It is shown that distributed vortices behave differently from uniform patches regarding the critical onset of tearing. Stripping erodes the exterior layers of a distributed profile and generates very high vorticity gradients at the edge of the vortex. These effects are measured, and a theory which allows a detailed quantification of the mechanism is presented.
- D. G. Dritschel. Contour dynamics and contour surgery: numerical algorithms for extended, high-resolution modelling of vortex dynamics in two-dimensional, inviscid, incompressible flows.Computer Phys. Rep., 10(3):77–146, 1989.
- D. G. Dritschel. The stability of elliptical vortices in an external straining flow.J. Fluid Mech., 210:223–261, 1990.
- D. G. Dritschel and B. Legras. The elliptical model of two-dimensional vortex dynamics. Part II: Disturbance equations.Phys. Fluids A, 3(5):855–869, 1991.
- D.G. Dritschel. Nonlinear stability bounds for inviscid, two- dimensional, parallel or circular flows with monotonic vorticity, and the analogous three-dimensional quasi-geostrophic flows.J. Fluid Mech., 191:575–581, 1988.
- D.G. Dritschel. Strain-induced vortex stripping. In R.E. Caflisch, editor,Mathematical aspects of vortex dynamics, pages 107–119. SIAM, 1989.
- D.G. Dritschel and B. Legras. Vortex stripping. preprint.
- S. Kida. Motion of an elliptical vortex in a uniform shear flow.J. Phys. Soc. Japan, 50, 1981.
- B. Legras and D. G. Dritschel. The elliptical model of two-dimensional vortex dynamics. Part I: The basic state.Phys. Fluids A, 3(5), 1991.
- B. Legras and D.G. Dritschel. A comparison of the contour surgery and pseudo- spectral methods.J. Comput. Phys., page in press, 1992.
- B. Legras and V. Zeitlin. Conformal dynamics for vortex motions.Physics Letters A, 167:265–271, 1992.
- J.C. McWilliams. The vortices of two-dimensional turbulence.J. Fluid Mech., 219:361–385, 1990.
- P.G. Saffman. On the spectrum and decay of random two-dimensional vorticity distributions of large reynolds number.Stud. Apl. Math., 50:377–383, 1971.
- J. Weiss. The dynamics of enstrophy transfer in two- dimensional hydrodynamics.Physica D, 48:273–294, 1991.
- Vortex stripping and the generation of high vorticity gradients in two-dimensional flows
Applied Scientific Research
Volume 51, Issue 1-2 , pp 445-455
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- vortex dynamics
- coherent structures
- two-dimensional turbulence
- Industry Sectors