Spiral vortices between concentric cylinders
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Spiral vortices appearing in Couette-Taylor flows are studied by means of numerical simulation. Transition curves from Couette to spiral vortices for different radius ratios and wavenumbers have been calculated in order to test our technique. Critical Reynolds numbers, angular velocities and slopes of the spirals at the onset of the instability agree with previous results . Non-linear solutions obtained by a pseudospectral collocation method are studied, and they show a weak net axial flow. In order to counteract this effect, which is absent in the usual experimental set-up, an axial pressure gradient has been included. This procedure has proved to be sufficient to make the axial flow negligible. The onset of a quasiperiodic flow for larger Reynolds numbers, corresponding to a secondary bifurcation is also presented.
- W.F. Langford, R. Tagg, E. J. Kostelich, H.L. Swinney, and M. Golubitsky 1988 ‘Primary instabilities and bicriticality in flow between counter-rotating cylinders.’Phys. Fluids vol.31, 776
- C.D. Andereck, S.S. Liu, H.L. Swinney. 1986 ‘Flow regimes in a circular Couette system with independently rotating cylinders.’J. Fluid Mechanics vol.164, 155
- F. Marquès. 1990 ‘On boundary condition for velocity flows: Application to Couette flow.’Phys. Fluids A 2, 729
- C. Canuto, M. Yousuff Hussaini, A. Quarteroni, and T.A. Zang. 1988 ‘Spectral Methods in Fluid Dynamics’ Springer-Verlag.
- F.Marquès, I. Mercader, M. Net and J Massaguer. 1992 ‘Thermal convection in vertical cylinders. A method based on potentials of velocity.’Computer Meths Appl Mech Engng. (submitted).
- Spiral vortices between concentric cylinders
Applied Scientific Research
Volume 51, Issue 1-2 , pp 55-59
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Couette-Taylor system
- spiral vortices
- Hopf bifurcation
- quasiperiodic flow
- Industry Sectors