Vanadium redox cell electrolyte optimization studies
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The stability of the positive electrolyte of the vanadium redox cell has been studied at various temperatures and at different solution compositions and solution state-of-charge (SOC). It has been found that at elevated temperatures for extended periods, V(V) can slowly precipitate from solution, the extent and rate of which being dependent on temperature, vanadium and sulphuric acid concentration as well as the SOC of the electrolyte. A H2SO4 concentration of 3–4m has been found to be more suitable than 2m, not only from the point of view of increased stability, but also because of the higher electrolyte conductivity which leads to increased voltage efficiencies during battery cycling.
- M. Skyllas-Kazacos and R. G. Robins, US Patent Application No. 849 094, 1986.
- M. Skyllas-Kazacos, M. Rychcik, R. G. Robins, A. G. Fane and M. Green,J. Electrochem. Soc. 133 (1986) 1057.
- M. Rychcik and M. Skyllas-Kazacos,J. Power Sources 19 (1987) 45.
- M. Skyllas-Kazacos and F. Grossmith,J. Electrochem. Soc. 134 (1987) 2950.
- M. Kazacos and M. Skyllas-Kazacos,J. Electrochem. Soc. 136 (1989) 2759.
- H. T. S. Briton and G. Welford,J. Chem. Soc. (1940) 895.
- J. Meyer and M. Aulich,Z. Anorg. Chem. 194 (1930) 278.
- L. P. Ducret,Ann. Chim. 12 (1951) 705.
- M. Skyllas-Kazacos, M. Kazacos and R. McDermott Patent application PCT appl/AKU88/000471 (1988).
- C. F. Baes, Jr. and R. E. Masmer, in ‘The Hydrolysis of Cations’, Wiley, New York (1976) Ch. 10.
- A. A. Ivakin,Zh. Prikl. Khim. 39 (1966) 277.
- F. A. Cotton and G. Wilkinson, ‘Advanced Inorganic Chemistry’, Wiley-Interscience, New York (1966) p. 812.
- A. A. Ivakin and E. M. Voronova,Russ. J. Inorg. Chem. 18 (7) (1973) 956.
- H. Stehlow and H. Wendt,Inorg. Chem. 2 (1) (1963) 6.
- S. Ting, D. Kasherman and M. Skylass-Kazacos,J. Appl. Electrochem. submitted.
- Vanadium redox cell electrolyte optimization studies
Journal of Applied Electrochemistry
Volume 20, Issue 3 , pp 463-467
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors