Genetic and nongenetic influences on handedness
- Marian Annett
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A brief review of theories of the causes of handedness shows why the major determinant is probably accidental variation, modified in man by a genetic factor inducing dextral bias. Levy's (1976, 1977) criticisms of Annett (1973) are answered by a detailed consideration of Chamberlain's (1928) report and by the presentation of an alternative analysis of the Hull family data using a criterion more similar to that of Rife (1940). The revised analysis is incompatible with the Levy-Nagylaki (1972) model of the genetics of handedness. New data on family preferences in two further student samples support the Hull findings. Data on manual skill in families are more consistent with an accidental than with a polygenic origin of human variability in handedness.
- Annett, M. (1964). A model of the inheritance of handedness and cerebral dominance.Nature 204:59–60.
- Annett, M. (1967). The binomial distribution of right, mixed and left handedness.Quart. J. Exp. Psychol. 19:327–333.
- Annett, M. (1970a). A classification of hand preference by association analysis.Br. J. Psychol. 61:303–321.
- Annett, M. (1970b). The growth of manual preference and speed.Br. J. Psychol. 61:545–558.
- Annett, M. (1972). The distribution of manual asymmetry.Br. J. Psychol. 63:343–358.
- Annett, M. (1973). Handedness in families.Ann. Hum. Genet. 37:93–105.
- Annett, M. (1974). Handedness in the children of two left-handed parents.Br. J. Psychol. 65:129–131.
- Annett, M. (1975). Hand preference and the laterality of cerebral speech.Cortex 11:305–328.
- Annett, M. (1976a). Handedness and the cerebral representation of speech.Ann. Hum. Biol. 3:317–328.
- Annett, M. (1976b). A coordination of hand preference and skill replicated.Br. J. Psychol. 67:587–592.
- Annett, M., and Turner, A. (1974). Laterality and the growth of intellectual abilities.Br. J. Educ. Psychol. 44:37–44.
- Annett, M., Hudson, P. T. W., and Turner, A. (1974). The reliability of differences between the hands in motor skill.Neuropsychologia 12:527–531.
- Chamberlain, H. D. (1928). The inheritance of left handedness.J. Hered. 19:557–559.
- Collins, R. L. (1968). On the inheritance of handedness: I.J. Hered. 59:9–12.
- Collins, R. L. (1969). On the inheritance of handedness: II.J. Hered. 60:117–119.
- Collins, R. L. (1975). When left-handed mice live in right-handed worlds.Science 187:181–184.
- Falconer, D. S. (1965). The inheritance of liability to certain diseases, estimated from the incidence among relatives.Ann. Hum. Genet. 29:51–76.
- Goodglass, H., and Quadfasel, F. A. (1954). Language laterality in left-handed aphasics.Brain 77:521–548.
- Jordan, H. E. (1914). Hereditary left-handedness with a note on twinning.J. Genet. 4:67–81.
- Hicks, R. E., and Kinsbourne, M. (1976). Human handedness: A partial cross fostering study.Science 192:908–910.
- Hudson, P. T. W. (1975). The genetics of handedness—A reply to Levy and Nagylaki.Neuropsychologia 13:331–339.
- Levy, J. (1976). A review of evidence for a genetic component in the determination of handedness.Behav. Genet. 6:429–453.
- Levy, J. (1977). A reply to Hudson regarding the Levy-Nagylaki model for the genetics of handedness.Neuropsychologia 15:187–190.
- Levy, J., and Nagylaki, T. (1972). A model for the genetics of handedness.Genetics 72: 117–128.
- Provins, K. A., and Cunliffe, P. (1972). The reliability of some motor performance tests of handedness.Neuropsychologia 10:199–206.
- Raczkowski, D., and Kalat, J. W. (1974). Reliability and validity of some handedness questionnaire items.Neuropsychologia 12:43–47.
- Ramaley, F. (1913). Inheritance of left handedness.Am. Nat. 47:730–738.
- Rife, D. C. (1940). Handedness with special reference to twins.Genetics 25:178–186.
- Trankell, A. (1955). Aspects of genetics in psychology.Am. J. Hum. Genet. 7:264–276.
- Woo, T. L., and Pearson, K. (1927). Dextrality and sinistrality of hand and eye.Biometrika 19:165–199.
- Genetic and nongenetic influences on handedness
Volume 8, Issue 3 , pp 227-249
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- hand preference
- manual skill
- Marian Annett (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Applied Social Studies, Lanchester Polytechnic, Coventry, England