Inheritance of species-specific behaviors in the paradise fish (Macropodus opercularis): A diallel study
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Species-specific elements of the paradise fish's ethogram were recorded in one familiar and three different unfamiliar environments, which were designed to model certain features of this species' natural habitat: (1) a densely vegetated home range, (2) a novel open field, (3) a small novel place, and (4) a small novel place with a predator. The inheritance of the behavioral elements was investigated employing a five-times-replicated diallel cross among three inbred strains. A detailed Hayman analysis of variance and a variance-covariance analysis were performed to uncover the genetic architectures of these phenotypes. Additive genetic effects and/or ambidirectional dominance was found to be characteristic of most species-specific behavioral elements studied, suggesting an evolutionary history of stabilizing selection.
- Altbäcker, V., and Csányi, V. (1990). Predator in the shuttle-box: An ethological analysis of passive avoidance conditioning.Behaviour (in press).
- BMDP (1981).Statistical Software. User's Digest, Department of Biomathematics, University of California, Los Angeles.
- Broadhurst, P. L., and Jinks, J. L. (1974). What genetical architecture can tell us about the natural selection of behavioural traits. In van Abeelen, J. H. F. (ed.),The Genetics of Behaviour, North-Holland, Amsterdam and American Elsevier, New York.
- Crusio, W. E. (1990). Quantitative genetics. In Goldowitz, D., Wahlsten, D., and Wimer, R. (eds.),Techniques for the Genetic Analysis of Brain and Behavior: Focus on the Mouse, Elsevier, Amsterdam (in press).
- Crusio, W. E., and van Abeelen, J. H. F. (1986). The genetic architecture of behavioural responses to novelty in mice.Heredity 56:55–63.
- Crusio, W. E., Kerbusch, J. M. L. and van Abeelen, J. H. F. (1984). The replicated diallel cross: A generalized method of analysis.Behav. Genet 14:81–104.
- Crusio, W. E., Schwegler, H., and van Abeelen, J. H. F. (1989). Behavioral responses to novelty and structural variation of the hippocampus in mice. I. Quantitative-genetic analysis of behavior in the open-field.Behav. Brain Res. 32:75–80.
- Csányi, V., and Gerlai, R. (1988). Open-field behavior and the behavior-genetic analysis of the paradise fish (Macropodus opercularis).J. Comp. Psychol. 102:326–336.
- Csányi, V., Tóth, P., Altbäcker, V., Dóka, A., and Judit, Gervai (1985a). Behavioural elements of the paradise fish (Macropodus opercularis). I. Regularities of defensive behaviour.Acta Biol. Hung. 36:93–114.
- Csányi, V., Tóth, P., Altbäcker, V., Dóka, A., and Judit, Gervai (1985b). Behavioral elements of the paradise fish (Macropodus opercularis). II. A functional analysis.Acta Biol. Hung. 36:115–130.
- Falconer, D. S. (1960).Introduction to Quantitative Genetics, Ronald Press, New York.
- Forselius, S. (1957). Studies of anabantoid fishes. I. A quantitative description of the reproductive behaviour.Zool. Bidr. 32:93–302.
- Francis, R. C. (1984). The effects of bidirectional selection for social dominance on agonistic behavior and sex ratios in the paradise fish (Macropodus opercularis).Behaviour 90:25–45.
- Gerlai, R., and Csányi, V. (1987). The behaviour of the paradise fish (Macropodus opercularis) in two different open-fields. A correlation study.Acta Biol. Hung. 38:225–234.
- Gervai, J., and Csányi, V. (1984). Artificial gynogenesis and mapping of gene-centromere distances in the paradise fish (Macropodus opercularis).Theor. Appl. Genet. 68:481–485.
- Gervai, J., and Csányi, V. (1985). Behavior-genetic analysis of the paradise fish (Macropodus opercularis). I. Characterization of the behavioral responses of inbred strains in novel environments: A factor analysis.Behav. Genet. 15:503–519.
- Hayman, B. I. (1954a). The analysis of variance of diallel tables.Biometrics 10:235–244.
- Hayman, B. I. (1954b). The theory and analysis of diallel crosses.Genetics 39:789–809.
- Mather, K., and Jinks, J. L. (1982).Biometrical Genetics: The Study of Continuous Variation, 3rd ed., Chapman and Hall, London.
- Monostory, Zs., Nagy, A., Gervai, J., and Csányi, V. (1984). Polymorphism in the inheritance of serum esterases and globulins in the paradise fish.Anim. Blood Groups Biochem. Genet. 15:1–11.
- Inheritance of species-specific behaviors in the paradise fish (Macropodus opercularis): A diallel study
Volume 20, Issue 4 , pp 487-498
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- paradise fish
- behavioral elements
- exploratory behavior
- diallel cross
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Behavior Genetics, L. Eötvös University of Budapest, Jávorka S. u. 14, 2131, Göd, Hungary
- 3. Institut für Humangenetik und Anthropologie, Im Neuenheimer Feld 328, D-6900, Heidelberg, Federal Republic of Germany