Spouse similarity in American and Swedish couples
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A very similar pattern of homogamy was found in samples of American and Swedish couples for physical, social, and behavioral variables. In the Swedish sample, there were only minor differences in assortment, i.e., in similarity to spouses, between MZ and DZ twins. Although our data are not conclusive on this point, there was an indication that the observed similarity of spouses for most variables is due to initial assortment rather than to convergence of phenotypes after initial contact. Exceptions are that spouses do appear to converge for highly plastic variables such as alcohol consumption and amount of social activity.
- Cederlöf, R. (1966). The twin method in epidemiological studies on chronic disease. Doctoral dissertation, Department of Sociology, University of Stockholm.
- Comrey, A. L. (1970).Manual for the Comrey Personality Scales, Educational and Industrial Testing Service, San Diego.
- Crumpacker, D. W., Cederlöf, R., Friberg, L., Kimberling, W. J., Sörensen, S., Vandenberg, S. G., Williams, J. S., McClearn, G. E., Grevér, B., Iyer, H., Krier, M. J., Pedersen, N. L., Price, R. A., and Roulette, I. (1979). A twin methodology for the study of genetic and environmental control of variation in smoking behavior.Acta Genet. Med. Gemellol. (in press).
- DeFries, J. C., Johnson, R. C., Kuse, A. R., McClearn, G. E., Polovina, J., Vandenberg, S. G., and Wilson, J. R. (1979). Familial resemblance for specific cognitive abilities.Behav. Genet. 9:23–43.
- Eysenck, H. J., and Eysenck, S. B. G. (1975).Manual of the Eysenck Personality Questionnaire, Hodder and Stoughton, London.
- Glenn, N. D., Hoppe, S. K., and Weiner, D. (1974). Social class heterogamy and marital success: A study of the empirical adequacy of a textbook generalization.Soc. Probl. 21:539–550.
- Jensen, A. R. (1978). Genetic and behavioral effects of nonrandom mating. In Osborne, R. T., Noble, C. E., and Weyl, N. (eds.),Human Variation: Biopsychology of Age, Race and Sex, Academic Press, New York, pp. 51–105.
- Johnson, R. C., DeFries, J. C., Wilson, J. R., McClearn, G. E., Vandenberg, S. G., Ashton, G. C., Mi, M. P., and Rashad, M. N. (1976a). Assortative marriage for specific cognitive abilities in two ethnic groups.Hum. Biol. 48:343–352.
- Johnson, R. C., Park, J., DeFries, J. C., Ashton, G. C., McClearn, G. E., Mi, M. P., Rashad, M. N., Vandenberg, S. G., and Wilson, J. R. (1976b). Assortative marriage for specific cognitive abilities in Korea.Soc. Biol. 23:311–316.
- Medlund, P., Cederlöf, R., Floderus-Myrhed, B., Friberg, L., and Sörensen, S. (1976). A new Swedish twin registry.Acta Med. Scand., Suppl. 660.
- Nias, D. K. B. (1977). Husband-wife similarities.Soc. Sci. 52:206–211.
- Price, R. A., and Vandenberg, S. G. (1979). Matching for physical attractiveness in married couples.Personal. Soc. Psychol. Bull. 5:398–400.
- Raven, J. C. (1952).Guide to Using Progressive Matrices (1938), H. K. Lewis, London.
- Spuhler, J. N. (1968). Assortative mating with respect to physical characteristics.Eugen. Q. 15:128–140.
- Vandenberg, S. G. (1972). Assortative mating, or who marries whom?Behav. Genet. 2:127–157.
- Vandenberg, S. G., and Price, R. A. (1978). Replication of the factor structure of the Comrey Personality Scales.Psychol. Rep. 42:343–352.
- Watkins, M. P. (1978). Preliminary report on cognitive resemblance and education in newlyweds.Behav. Genet. 8:573–574 (abstr.).
- Zonderman, A. B., Vandenberg, S. G., Spuhler, K. P., and Fain, P. R. (1977). Assortative marriage for cognitive abilities.Behav. Genet. 7:261–271.
- Spouse similarity in American and Swedish couples
Volume 10, Issue 1 , pp 59-71
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- assortative marriage
- assortative mating
- phenotypic convergence
- socioeconomic status